• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Protocol overview finds nothing, when search string is not found on current day

King555

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Protocol overview finds nothing, when search string is not found on current day

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian, 18.0.52 Update #3, Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS, x64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

The protocol overview (maybe it's called differently, I translated it from the German version) under Tools & Settings (I tested it with the e-mail protocols), does not find a search string when this string is not found on the current day, but exists on older days (I did not set any date filter).

When it's found today, I also see all the old entries from the days before, so the old days should also be found when there is no corresponding entry on the current day.

When I filter the date to a day where the string can be found, it works, of course.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Go to the e-mail protocol overview. Do not filter for the date. Search for a string which you know can be found yesterday, but not today.

ACTUAL RESULT

No results found.

EXPECTED RESULT

Find all available log entries with that given search string. Otherwise the search would be useless, because I have to know the date for the entry I'm searching.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I know that my OS is EOL and I cannot install any additional Plesk updates, but this bug was there when it was not EOL and is definitely still there.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

I am not sure what exactly is claimed as a bug. You have the option to select a date. I think when no date is selected, search starts for the current date. Maybe your expectation is that search covers all dates, but it seems to be by design that search covers the current date when no other date is selected. Is that not the case?

1686669719884.png

But why do I find the entries from today and older days when I do not set a date filter? Does this make sense then? I would say no.

When the search (OK, it's "filter") is only for today when not setting the date filter, then only today's entries should be shown, not all. Maybe this is the bug then?

If this is really by design, then I need to make a feature request. Because when I know the exact date a log entry occured, I don't need to search for it, because then I already know it. ;)

I see, so the claim is: "If no date is set, the log viewer should search all dates, not only the current date."?

Yes, exactly. This claim first sounds like a feature request, but there is this inconsistency that the old entries are found when the term is also found today, but not when there is nothing today.

Thank you for helping me to understand this better. I have forwarded it as a product issue for further checks. The tracking ID is PPS-14531.

@King555 Developers could not reproduce the issue. Please open a support ticket and refer support to PPS-14531. Please provide SSH support access so that developers can check the issue directly on your machine.

The page says that I have to make a payment of $0, which probably means I have to enter my credit card information. This is too much for submitting a bug report (it's no support request). So, unfortunately, this report will stay unresolved.

Response from staff: Unfortunately, journalctl (that we use to get this type of logs) doesn't support filtering by message for all OSes supported by Plesk. So, we have to "grep" log items to filter necessary ones. For this case, we also have to keep the system optimized. To load all logs items to filter necessary ones is unacceptable. This results in this behavior.

There are no plans to change it, because a different approach would have a strong performance impact on some machines. This may not be true for your machine, but for many others.

Back