1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Provide backup space

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by MattKD, Oct 24, 2006.

1. MattKD

MattKD Guest

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to provide some users with FTP backup space

e.g. for their home PC to backup over FTP with no web access to a private folder.

Is there a way to do this with plesk? If I made a subdomain I could limit the disk space and create a login but it would be web accessible, it would be good if they were under one domain like backup.domain.com or subdomains of that domain.

Thanks for any tips.
    MD

2. dw604

dw604 Guest

Why would you want to do this - it just makes your server backup job even harder... what if you have a crash and your client has just one copy of the file hosted with you? Of course, this is your decision... :) Do you have a reliable backup service?

To add FTP users you do something like this:

adduser user1
    passwd user1

Then add this in /etc/proftpd.conf
    Code:
    <Directory /home/user1/*>
            UserOwner                               user1
            GroupOwner                              user1
            AllowOverwrite                          on
    </Directory>

3. MattKD

MattKD Guest

thanks

Thanks for this suggestion, this looks like the only way this could be done at the moment.

It is not a definite plan and I may just end up getting this person to backup to /private for now - it is basically some important word docs on their home pc.

Backups would be rsync to offsite.

Thanks for the reply,

MD