• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Provide backup space

M

MattKD

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to provide some users with FTP backup space

e.g. for their home PC to backup over FTP with no web access to a private folder.

Is there a way to do this with plesk? If I made a subdomain I could limit the disk space and create a login but it would be web accessible, it would be good if they were under one domain like backup.domain.com or subdomains of that domain.

Thanks for any tips.
MD

Why would you want to do this - it just makes your server backup job even harder... what if you have a crash and your client has just one copy of the file hosted with you? Of course, this is your decision... :) Do you have a reliable backup service?

To add FTP users you do something like this:

adduser user1
passwd user1

Then add this in /etc/proftpd.conf
Code:
<Directory /home/user1/*>
        UserOwner                               user1
        GroupOwner                              user1
        AllowOverwrite                          on
</Directory>

thanks

Thanks for this suggestion, this looks like the only way this could be done at the moment.

It is not a definite plan and I may just end up getting this person to backup to /private for now - it is basically some important word docs on their home pc.

Backups would be rsync to offsite.

Thanks for the reply,

MD

Back