• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PSA Database

MzaNike

Basic Pleskian
Hello,
sorry for a perhaps stupid question:
Is there a way to connect to the PSA Database with phpmyadmin?
Using the connect in CP of course shows not the plesk-db.

Thanks a lot

there is possibility to connect to psa db via phpmyadmin if psa db provider is mysql. you may register local mysql with port 8306 as external sql server. after you should restore external mysql.

Many question about PSA database.

1) What is the default database engine used ? mySQL, MSSQL, Access ?
I guess it is Access.

2) How do i connect to it using a remote server ?

3) The Plesk Reconfigurator has an option "Switch DB Provider". What is it for? Does it migrate all the PSA database tables to another Provider ? Does it automatic reconfigure Plesk to use this new provider ?

4) Will i get better performance if i switch the provider to mySQL ?

Originally posted by ViaHosting
1) What is the default database engine used ? mySQL, MSSQL, Access ?
MySQL is the default option, however you can make this selection during the initial setup of Plesk for Windows. Access is not an option (Thank god)
2) How do i connect to it using a remote server ?
As you would with any other MySQL database. You will need to allow external connections, easiest way is using PHPMyAdmin.
3) Switch DB Provider
Yes this option does allow you to reconfigure which Database you are using. There is an FAQ at http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.1/Windows/Docs/plesk-8.1-win-reconfigurator-guide/30856.htm

4) Will i get better performance if i switch the provider to mySQL ?
How long is a piece of string? :)

It comes down to a few different variables which will affect the performance of your server depending on the database software you are running.

I much rather work with MS SQL, I find it to be easier to operate, and much rather use the Microsoft SQL tools compared to PHP MyAdmin.

On our first Windows server I configured MS SQL to store the PSA database. The biggest downfall I found was that the third party applications we run (4PSA Products specifically) are only written to work with MySQL. We still run MS SQL on the box however, and provide MS SQL databases to clients. Note that you will require the Plesk MS SQL license add on to do this.

Just jumping back quickly, to clarify sshigin's post. If you store your PSA database in MySQL, MySQL will be configured to run two separate instances. One for user databases, one for the PSA database. The PSA database uses port 8306. Keep this in mind when connecting remotely, specifically when opening ports in the firewall.

Originally posted by nickbrown
MySQL is the default option, however you can make this selection during the initial setup of Plesk for Windows. Access is not an option (Thank god)

As you would with any other MySQL database. You will need to allow external connections, easiest way is using PHPMyAdmin.

Yes this option does allow you to reconfigure which Database you are using. There is an FAQ at http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.1/Windows/Docs/plesk-8.1-win-reconfigurator-guide/30856.htm

How long is a piece of string? :)

It comes down to a few different variables which will affect the performance of your server depending on the database software you are running.

I much rather work with MS SQL, I find it to be easier to operate, and much rather use the Microsoft SQL tools compared to PHP MyAdmin.

On our first Windows server I configured MS SQL to store the PSA database. The biggest downfall I found was that the third party applications we run (4PSA Products specifically) are only written to work with MySQL. We still run MS SQL on the box however, and provide MS SQL databases to clients. Note that you will require the Plesk MS SQL license add on to do this.

Just jumping back quickly, to clarify sshigin's post. If you store your PSA database in MySQL, MySQL will be configured to run two separate instances. One for user databases, one for the PSA database. The PSA database uses port 8306. Keep this in mind when connecting remotely, specifically when opening ports in the firewall.

EV1 has setup my box using ACCESS. :mad:
I want to switch to mySQL.
There is no mySQL instance running at port 8306.

EV1 has setup my box using ACCESS. :mad:
I want to switch to mySQL.
There is no mySQL instance running at port 8306.
did you try to use Plesk Reconfigurator?

Originally posted by sshigin
did you try to use Plesk Reconfigurator?

Yes, I did and it doesn't works.

But I have some question:
1) At Plesk Reconfigurator, i need to provide the following informations:
a) Server type: MySQL - OK
b) Server address: localhost : 8306 - there is no mysql instance at port 8306
c) Administrator login: \ these two option are MySQL root(admin),
d) Administrator password: / its very confused (MySQL admin / Plesk Admin)

e) Database: can I use any database name ?
f) Database user name: can I use any database user name ? Or I should use that provide at (c) ?
g/h) Password: can I use any password ? This password will be new Plesk admin password ? Or I should use that provide at (d) ?

The Plesk reconfigurator just continue if i change the mysql port to 3306.
But if i do that, will i be using the same mysql instance that domains databases ?
How do i start a mysql instance at port 8306 to have the PSA Database migrated ?

I have similar questions/problems

My psa database runs on mySQL and it runs on port 8306.
PHPmyadmin is installed on the same server as Plesk, I changed the port to 8306 in phpmyadmin config file

When I open phpmyadmin I get a popup for a username and password, I enter the correct logins, username 'admin' and the password (I even updated in Plesk itself the password to be 100% sure it is correct).
When I click to login I get a message that the user/pass is incorrect.

What I try it is each time the same, wrong user/pass.

When I connect to the default port and I enter the same user/pass I am logged normally but now I only see the databases of all users/domains, I see no databases of PSA itself.

What do I wrong here?
In version 7.6 I only had too change the port in phpmyadmin and I could login, now I can't anymore.

Who can help/advise?

The Plesk reconfigurator just continue if i change the mysql port to 3306.
But if i do that, will i be using the same mysql instance that domains databases ?
How do i start a mysql instance at port 8306 to have the PSA Database migrated ? [/B]

If you enter mysql port 3306, you'll be moved to domains MySQL database. I don't sure you want to do this.

Also, check
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Probably you have disabled service "Plesk SQL Server".
Try to change startup type to "Automatic" and run this service.

to get the MySQL on port 8306, you should go to Windows services, find the "Plesk SQL server" service, enable it and then start.
As for the credentials, you can reset them. But first, you might need to add skip_grant_tables=1 to your "%plesk_dir%\mysql\data\my.ini"

If you use MDB provider, you cannot connect to it remotely unless you share the folder where it resides (%plesk_dir%\admin\db)
You can use the "mdb viewer plus" to browse an mdb database with GUI.

Back