• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PSA_9.5.4 latest MU fails to install

KristianR

Basic Pleskian
File downloading PSA_9.5.4/microupdates/MU24/common/_usr_local_psa_PMM_agents_shared_Storage_DbBundle.pm: was skipped because of md5 checksum match.
File downloading PSA_9.5.4/microupdates/MU25/common/_usr_local_psa_admin_htdocs_enterprise_rsession_back_url.php: was skipped because of md5 checksum match.
ERROR: can't apply patch plesk-9.5.4~patch25
User named '' is not exists in this system.
Warning! Not all packages were installed.

[root@myvps ~]# id named
uid=25(named) gid=25(named) groups=25(named)

and yes, I know Plesk 11 is out so if you're solution is to upgrade, I'm already aware. We have an upgraded environment but have many legacy customers we're working on migrating.

and yes, I know Plesk 11 is out so if you're solution is to upgrade, I'm already aware. We have an upgraded environment but have many legacy customers we're working on migrating.

They claim some unnamed host is doing 'hundreds of upgrades per week' so it should be easy. :)

I'm about to post another thread for something to look out for with the latest MU's 24 and 25, figured I'd let you know in case you get it to apply and find your email breaks. In either MU 24, or 25, or perhaps both, if the autoinstaller is not new enough, it will only update the autoinstaller and will not apply the MU, so you have to run it a second time to get it to apply the MU. We applied the MU on about 40 servers and on almost 10 of them, /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd ended up with permissions of 644 making it not executable so incoming email began failing at that point. Setting it back to 755 seems to have fixed it.

I'm not sure why a re-run of the autoinstaller affected that file since qmail-smtpd has not been touched since MU 5, but perhaps the installer does not check if they're applied and just reapplies them each time.

I've experienced the same error, which is not very helpful in tracking down the cause (even overlooking the broken English). Re-running the update doesn't help.

Has anyone tracked down the missing unnamed user the patch is looking for?

Thanks.

Thanks hostasaurus -- I have attempted running the autoinstaller twice to no avail. Good to know on the qmail-smtpd issue you've discovered. Seems parallels has been providing updates only to discover issues with them, in particular issues with "PCI compliance scanners are failing because Courier IMAP is not PCI compliant". I guess their QA cycles don't test extensively..

Some additional info:

- There does seem to be a connection to the /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd file since running autoupdate writes a new "updateXXXXXX" file to that directory each times it's run. The file is the exact size of qmail-smtpd, which remains untouched.

- I noticed that the /root/psa/PSA_9.5.4/microupdates/MU25/common/_usr_local_psa_admin_htdocs_enterprise_rsession_back_url.php file that MU25 is apparently trying to apply is a zero-length file, while the file it's replacing (/usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/enterprise/rsession_back_url.php) is 1471 bytes. Deleting the MU25 directory and re-starting autoupdate just downloaded a new zero-byte file.

Does that shed any light on the problem?

Thanks.

Here's the tail of autoinstaller3.log:

File downloading PSA_9.5.4/microupdates/MU24/common/_usr_local_psa_PMM_agents_shared_Storage_DbBundle.pm: was skipped because of md5 checksum match.
Filefetcher: get file (~empty)/PSA_9.5.4/microupdates/MU25/common/_usr_local_psa_admin_htdocs_enterprise_rsession_back_url.php
File downloading PSA_9.5.4/microupdates/MU25/common/_usr_local_psa_admin_htdocs_enterprise_rsession_back_url.php: Patching file /usr/local/psa/libexec/modules/watchdog/cp/pack-sysstats
Execute command /sbin/restorecon /usr/local/psa/libexec/modules/watchdog/cp/pack-sysstats
Patching file /usr/local/psa/libexec/modules/watchdog/cp/send-report
Execute command /sbin/restorecon /usr/local/psa/libexec/modules/watchdog/cp/send-report
Patching file /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/modules/watchdog/stats-graph.php
Execute command /sbin/restorecon /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/modules/watchdog/stats-graph.php
Patching file /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/launchpad
Execute command /sbin/restorecon /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/launchpad
Patching file /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
-- Check for new version of PSA_9.5.4/plesk-9.5.4-fc8-i386.inf3
Filefetcher: get file (~empty)/PSA_9.5.4/plesk-9.5.4-fc8-i386.inf3
Execute command /usr/sbin/getenforce
Disabled
Error: can't apply patch plesk-9.5.4~patch25
User named '' is not exists in this system.
Warning! Not all packages were installed.
Please check if your system services are operable.
Please try installing packages again later.
Please resolve this issue and try installing the packages again.
If you cannot resolve the issue on your own, contact product technical support for assistance.

KristianR, JoelR could you please provide output of

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --version

Here's my autoinstaller version:
Parallels Products Installer 3.6.0 (built on 2010-04-13 11:19)

Thanks,
Joel

JoelR, root cause of this issue is that your Plesk instance can't obtain latests versions of autoinstaller, because Plesk 9.5.4 for Fedora Core 8 is not supported. Please check http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/lifecycle for more details.
But anyway we have change microupdate configs to avoid this issue on such installations.

Hostasaurus.Com, may be I'm wrong, but it looks like same problem with outdated autoinstaller.
We have set explicit permissions 555 root:qmail on qmail-smtpd.

You can try to apply microupdates right now.

Hi,

I've also been told by Parallels that this error (User named '' is not exists in this system.) can be caused by entering a Virtuozzo container from the node and running the autoinstaller there.

I can confirm that running "su - " after entering a container allows MU #25 to be applied (and /root/.autoinstaller/microupdates.xml is updated) , but I didn't try this before the changes made above!

Paul.

After applying the update here (ubuntu 8.04) there were no errors but ownership of the qmail-smtpd was wrong (root:root rw r r). Therefore we couldn't start the qmail deamon properly. Changing the ownership seems to solve the issue.

Question though: should i rerun the microupdate and how do I safely remove the update?

Thank you

Last edited:
Back