• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved PTR DNS record and email going in to SPAM (can't wrap my head around it)

seqoi

Regular Pleskian
Hello guys. I'll cut it straight to the point.

I SIMPLY DON'T UNDERSTAND PTR. Probably it's language thing (not native english speaker) but no matter which tutorial i see i am getting lost by the end of it. And yes i found few threads with sameish subject here but it appear that i don't have deep problems like in these threads just wrong configuration which i don't know how to set up. So i decided to post it here with all my settings and (fictional) IP address and (fictional) domain so someone could possibly help me because that's it i lost any hope.

So recently i decided to go here and on various other websites: Newsletters spam test by mail-tester.com and for example mail-tester.com gives me 10 out of 10 score but last thing i can't resolve. And my emails are going in to SPAM at gmail and especially hotmail/yahoo.

This is description of error:

Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

Your IP address 55.33.212.10 is associated with the domain static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de.
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from xcxcxcxc.com

You may want to publish a pointer (PTR type) DNS record with a value of xcxcxcxc.com or use static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de as hostname in your mail software

Here are the tested values for this check:

• IP: 55.33.212.10
    • HELO: xcxcxcxc.com
    • rDNS: static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de
I am using Hetzner VPS and CloudNS.

Here is screenshot from Hetzner panel (attachment) -

do i need to add something to Hetzner? As you can see (i pointed with arrow) i can add another IP address there.

hetzner-panel.jpg

And here is screenshot at CloudNS from my current DNS zone for that domain - do i need to add something here? Some record?

dns_zone.jpg

And here is my reverse zone i created at CloudNS and i added my domain but i am still getting same error by SPAM testers

reverse_zone.jpg

Is my reverse zone added wrongly? Maybe PTR record need to be changed?

Can anyone provide any insight please i am desperate - trying to solve this for almost two weeks..

Last edited:
Hi seqoi,

neither your provided IP ( 55.33.212.10 ), nor the domain ( xcxcxcxc.com ), nor your rDNS for your IP ( static.10.212.33.55.clients.your-server.de ) resolve anywhere, which makes it impossible to investigate misconfigurations.

As you wrote, that you are using "Hetzner", I will point you to the related documentation, how to add your additional IP at your server:

If you desire help here, don't hesitate to contact the friendly Hetzner Support. :)

Yeah i provided fictional domain and names (it is stated in original thread).

Thanks anyway. All it has needed to be done was to in Hetzner panel, where they have reverse DNS, i needed to put in xcxcxcxc.com . Waited a bit for propagation and then all worked out.

Thanks anyway

Back