• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail : checkmailpasswd FAILED

B

bsysbvba

Hi there,

I have this very anoying problem at the moment that I can't pop my emails from my server. When I use webmail everything seems just fine.

My log files notes the following:

Jun 26 02:36:07 main authpsa: checkmailpasswd: FAILED: mario.dury - short names not allowed from @ [81.164.5.147]

In PLESK/System/Server/Mail the "Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed" is activated. But it is like Plesk/qmail seems to be working in "short names mode"?

Any idea? As I'm totaly stuck with this one,

TIA,

Ed.

James,

that is correct. But how is it possible that this has changed. I can't inform all my clients that they have to change their outlook accounts and add their domainname? I know that I did something on my server a couple of hours ago, and for that reason, now I have this small problem. Any ideas how I can reset this?

Ed.

In the control panel, go to Server, Mail, click 'Use of short (webmaster) and full ([email protected]) POP3/IMAP mail account names is allowed'

Then click Ok.

James,

you are probably correct again :), but then I get : Unable to allow the use of short mail names for POP3/IMAP accounts.There are mail name and password pairs matching.

Guess that I need to find those accounts with the same name and password.

Any idea how I can do that? MySQL??

Ed.

James,

this is MySQL query:

select
domains.name as domain,
mail.mail_name as 'email',
mailaccounts.password as 'mail password'
from
domains
left join hosting on domains.id = hosting.dom_id
left join forwarding on domains.id = forwarding.dom_id
left join mail on domains.id = mail.dom_id
left join sys_users on hosting.sys_user_id = sys_users.id
left join accounts on sys_users.account_id = accounts.id
left join accounts as mailaccounts on mail.account_id = mailaccounts.id
where
domains.name like '%' and
mail.redirect = 'false' and mail.mail_group = 'false'
order by
mailaccounts.password, mail.mail_name;

And you know what? I did'nt found any account name and password who were the same in 2 different domain names. Should what is going on here? Is this a bug? If yes how can I fixe it?

Ed.

James (and everybody else),

I found a way to solve this problem. You have no idea how glad I am that it is working now, otherwise I had to inform tomorow a couple of thousand email users that they had to change their account and that is just too much for a monday morning :)

What I did (don't shoot me, I know it is not a clean solution, but for the time being, ..., it should work).

In the DB of Plesk in MySQL change in the table misc the field param with value 'allow_short_pop3_names' to 'enabled'.

Then run following command on your box:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v

Et voila ... problem solved,

Ed.

That is the manual approach to doing what I outlined above. Since you were getting the error, but your query did not find any duplicates (sorry I didn't even look at your query, too tired). I would be cautious since you still have not found the possible root of your original problem.

Yes, I could have given you that info to directly change the database entry, but normally I don't like initally posting mySQL direct manipulations unless the poster makes it clear that they are familiar with doing so.

Glad to hear you got past your initial problem.

Originally posted by bsysbvba
James (and everybody else),

I found a way to solve this problem. You have no idea how glad I am that it is working now, otherwise I had to inform tomorow a couple of thousand email users that they had to change their account and that is just too much for a monday morning :)

What I did (don't shoot me, I know it is not a clean solution, but for the time being, ..., it should work).

In the DB of Plesk in MySQL change in the table misc the field param with value 'allow_short_pop3_names' to 'enabled'.

Then run following command on your box:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk -v

Et voila ... problem solved,

Ed.

I'm having the exact same problem. I have no problems changing the field, but what I need to know is there some way I can get into the psa database through the admin control panel or shouold I install phpmyadmin on the server and access it directly?

You cannot access the psa database from the control panel's version of phpMyAdmin, you would either use mysql commandline or install your own copy of phpMyAdmin

FWIW, the SQL statement provided above is not entirely accurate as it hides e-mail accounts for domains that don't have web hosting enabled. I haven't figured out exactly what it should be, but I do have additional info on the problem. It seems that wherever we have had problems adding an e-mail address, that an address existed with the same name (even on a different domain) and had an encrypted password in the database. By resetting the password through the cp, we were able to add the problem email address. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well, but basically, if an e-mail name is in your psa database and has an encrypted password, you won't be able to add that mail name to a different domain, no matter what password you use.

Back