• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail detail

G

Gorgon@

Hi folks,

Any qmail experts in the house? I am trying to figure out why some messages get stuck on the queue. I am a proud Exim fan and am not familar with qmail but I am very familar with email in general.

I am very unhappy with the qmail log and/or the ability to track a message and it's 'issues'. This is trivial in Exim. Yet in qmail I find it very difficult. I have many messages on the queue all addressed to a user. When I test things manually using telnet, it works great, but qmail keeps saying:

deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

It won't tell me WHY it cannot establish an SMTP sessions.

Sigh. Is there any place in the qmail log or queue that will give me some details?

I don't mean to offend any qmail fans out there but I cannot believe it's this hard to get good information. Even sendmail is easier to deal with IMHO. :)

thanks,
mikeS

Qmail won't tell you exactly why the SMTP connection could not be established. There are multiple messages about SMTP each describing in a way or another what happened. The messages are not very explicit, the art is to discover the problem based on multiple log records.

Back