• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail does not recognize local domains

I

irian

I have a Very big and urgent problem.
I am using plesk 8.2.1 on debian 4.0 i386.

qmail does not recognize local domains.
This has started a couple of days ago.
Here is an extract from a telnet connection:

irian@ns:~$ telnet x.y.z.t 2525
Trying x.y.z.t...
Connected to x.y.z.t.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xxxxxxxx ESMTP
ehlo x
250-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
mail from: [email protected]
250 ok
rcpt to: [email protected]
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

But mydomain.ro is a local domain and is present in /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts

Please help me with a solution.

Thank you

the /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains is ok.

here is an extract:
xxx.com:1
mydomain.com:12

I've replaced the actual domain names.
The domain I'm trying to send email is listed both in /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts and /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains

problem solved

Searching for "sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts" in the swsoft knowledgebase, I've found the kb #168 : http://kb.odin.com/article_22_168_en.html

At the end there are the following lines that apply to my case:

If you get the bounce message with such error when send mail to a domain hosted on the Plesk server, then make sure that the Mail service for this domain is enabled and the domain name is listed in $QMAIL_ROOT_D/control/virtualdomains and $QMAIL_ROOT_D/control/rcpthosts files.
If not, use $PRODUCT_ROOT_D/admin/sbin/mchk utility to rebuild Qmail configuration.

But the domains are listed in both the rcpthosts and virtualdomains.

That is why I did not use the mchk utility to regenerate them. Also I've read on some swsoft forums that mchk might break those files. Never the less, this morning, I've backed them up and thought about trying the mchk utility. Opening with vi the rcpthosts file I've noticed the blue ^M at the end of each line, indicating that it was in dos format. I run dos2unix on it, restarted qmail and the problem was solved.

I guess the mchk utility would have also repaired the file.

As a general rule, when dealing with apparently perfect normal text files on unix, try opening them with vim to see if they are in dos or unix format. If you see a blue ^M at the end of each line, they are in dos format. Convert the to unix format by running dos2unix on them.

Back