• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail in 8.1 vs 7.5.4

G

Gorgon@

Hi folks,

Just looking for input and people's general experiences.

Situation: 1 x RHEL3 running Plesk 7.5.4 and 1 x RHEL4 running Plesk 7.5.4.

As you know, Plesk uses qmail as it's MTA. I'm not trying to start a flamewar here, but I hate qmail. But I'm stuck with it so I'm trying to make it work the best I can.

My RHEL3 server always seems to fill up the queue with ****. I'm running qsheff which helps keep some stuff from getting in but it seems like every couple of days I need to clean house on the queue or delievery gets so slow I start getting support calls.

The RHEL4 does not seem to have this problem. It's using qmail-scanner instead of qsheff.

Part of my problem is that I don't understand how qmail 'works' well enough to really diagnose the problem. I'm about ready to replace the qmail setup done by plesk and compile my own from scratch so I'll have full understanding of what's going on, etc, etc.

Before I do that though, I'm curious on how the qmail setup in v7.5.4 compares to v8.1. If I do the upgrade instead, will my qmail woes go away or be reduced? I understand I can patch qmail via plesk in v8.1. Is that really a huge advantage?

Or would I be better off rolling my own no matter what version of plesk?

Thanks,
mikeS

I have some script which will help you to manage the qmail mail queue, also some scripts which will mail you if the mail queue goes above the sepcfied limit.

Hi bandurao,

Thanks. I'm using qmHandle, qmqtool and qmail-remove and they seem to work okay for the most part.

I guess my issue isn't as much as managing the queue. I would like to get things setup so I don't have to manage the queue that much. Basically I want more control over the operation of qmail; what patches are installed, how it filters, setting up port 587, etc, etc.

If upgrading to 8.1 will allow me more control and yet keep the packing under Plesk's management, that's great. Otherwise I'd rather compile qmail on my own and fudge the packages so Plesk is happy. But I'll have the full control I want. :)

thanks,
mikeS

Back