• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail Issue

M

mohitmoudgil

Hi,

Hi have installed Plesk 8.4 for linux on my server. Password authentication for SMTP is enabled in Plesk.

Lets suppose one email address [email protected] exist on the server. When I try to send mail from telnet to the same address it do not ask for any authorization and sends mails without any problem.

Escape character is '^@]'.
220 mydomain.com ESMTP
helo test.com
250 mydomain.com
MAIL TO: [email protected]
250 ok
RCPT FROM: [email protected]
250 ok
DATA this is relay test
354 go ahead
Test is going on.

I want to stop this and want any one connecting to my SMTP to authorize first with username and passowd.

Please help me in this and let me know how can I achieve this.

Thanks in advance

Mohit

Under Server->Mail, place the X's in the appropriate place...

Relaying
closed
X authorization is required:
POP3 lock time Min
X SMTP

Note that since the SMTP server is used by remote hosts to send you mail as well as by your users to send mail out, the server cannot ask for authorization until it sees the message. However, rest assured if it is a relay and authorization hasn't occurred, the message won't be forwarded.

-Robert

Do you understand that what you are saying will effectively stop you from receiving any mail because connecting mail servers (anyone) will be asked for authorization when they want to deliver mail to your domain? As long as you want to receive normal mail, there is no way that you can ask for authorization when somebody is delivering mail to your domain in the server.

Yes, I understand but the problem is that we are getting too much of spam. Someone is sending mails from [email protected] to [email protected] using my SMTP.

I cannot even ban the domain because its my domain from where mail is coming. Please help me out.

I would really recommend using an RBL list to cut down on that sort of spam. Also, you can look in /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog and see who is doing it, and block them from connecting to your server.

Back