• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

QMail Problem

scottthepotter

Basic Pleskian
I am having a mail problem with only 1 domain that I am hosting. Every Monday morning sometime between the hours of 7am and 10am all of the mail sent to this domain gets returned to the sender with the following message:

Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host, it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

If I restart the mail service then everything works fine for another week. The only entries in the 'locals' file is 'localhost' and my servers name. All domains that I host are listed in the rcpthosts file however. The only solution that I can come up with so far is a cron job that automatically restarts the mail daemon every Monday morning. But that seems to be a 'sorry-***' solution. This has only happened since upgrading from Plesk 8.6 to 9.02. I am also performing a pleskbackup all every Sunday night and locking the domains as they are backed up (don't know if that has anything to do with it or not). Any ideas?

I have the same error. There are a lot of domains on the server and nearly all of them are working except one. The error message is the same.

Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

I read a lot about this error. I also checked a lot of settings including the
/var/qmail/control/locals
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts

But after a lot of reading I realized that all of my settings are just perfect so I tried the last thing! I restarted the qmail service from the CP. After the restarting it is working like a charm now but it is not a solution!!!

I know something is not ok! Maybe it is connected to the backup service I scheduled... I do not know! I keep my eyes open and I will let you know my experiences.

I started to investigate in this case. At the end I figured out the following:

I have a full backup scheduled for this server for everyday. I made a test. I tried to send an e-mail just before the scheduled backup to this specific domain. everything was ok. Then I wait until the backup procedure ends and I tried again. Now I got the same error message from this domain. The messege was the following:

Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host, it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

After I got the error message I restarted the qmail service and I tried to send a message again. This time I did not get any error messages. I checked the e-mail and it was in the recipient mailbox.

For the next evening I turned of the scheduled backup and I tried to send an e-mail again in the morning of the next day. I did not get any error messages!!!

So now it seems that something is not OK with the backup procedure!!! I will continue the investigation...

I found the source of the problem. There was an domain alias registered under this specific domain. After deleting the alias now everything is ok. I can run the daily backup and after the process is completed the mail system is ok.

After I found that this was the reason. I added the alias again. I just wanted to be sure that I found the source of the problem. I executed the backup process... and I tried to send an e-mail to that domain... I failed. So I deleted the alias!

Now everything is ok!

I have the same issue on 9.2.1 on centos 5.

Will try removing the alias and see if that works!

Updated to 9.2.3
After domain backup (if domain has alias) i got this:

Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

After qmail restart everything is ok!

After update to 9.2.3 problem is still exist:

After domain backup (which has alias) i got:

"Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)"

Back