• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail running but not showing after Spamdyke install

B

BlueOryx

Hello,

I got spamdyke working and everything is ruinning smoothly except for one thing.

in the control panel > Services >service manager, it shows my qmail server as off (red circled X) but i can send and receive email with no issues.

is this happening for anyone else??

found a fix ;
go to Server Administration > Mail, switch off DNS zones for DNSBL service, go back to Server Administration > Services management, restart SMTP Server (QMail), go back to Server Administration > Mail, switch on DNS zones for DNSBL service.
That did it for me, go figure...

bibliopegist, why are you using DNSBL options in Plesk itself? With spamdyke installed this would be handled by Spamdyke (in its conf file). Or have I misunderstood what you were saying?

[Also, when you add/remove dnsbl stuff in Plesk, it usually (but not always) re-creates the smtp_psa fuke, killing off any modifications you might have made to it (including spamdyke). But that's another story :) ]

Faris.

bibliopegist, why are you using DNSBL options in Plesk itself? With spamdyke installed this would be handled by Spamdyke (in its conf file). Or have I misunderstood what you were saying?

[Also, when you add/remove dnsbl stuff in Plesk, it usually (but not always) re-creates the smtp_psa fuke, killing off any modifications you might have made to it (including spamdyke). But that's another story :) ]

Faris.
I was under the impression I could set up DNSBL in plesk and use Spamdyke as well, are you saying that I have to choose one or the other?

No, you can use both at the same time but it is a little strange to do so. I won't go as far as to say it is wrong to do so, but I can't see any point at all.

spamdyke offers much better support for dnsrbls than Plesk's built-in stuff. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons but these spring to mind:
1) if an incomcing connection uses smtp authentication then dnsbls are bypassed. This means you won't have problems when someone on a dial-up or dynamic ip blacklist tries to send authenticated email

2) spamdyke logs dnsrbl rejections in the maillog

3) spamdyke allows you to include an url in the email rejection that can help someone understand why their email is being rejected.

Faris.

No, you can use both at the same time but it is a little strange to do so. I won't go as far as to say it is wrong to do so, but I can't see any point at all.
thanks faris, I am sold, it's spamdyke for me, but it's back to square one for the false negative on the plesk control panel as the qmail icon is red

Back