• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

question about outgoing IP

Sven L.

Regular Pleskian
hello.

this is something i have wondered a long time now.

i have had several different mail servers in the past. also some older plesk servers.

when a customer sent an email, the ip of the sender was that of my server. which was ok by my standards.

now, with plesk 9.5.4 and postfix, when a customer sends an email through :25 (with smtp auth) the ip of the sender is his own.
when i read the headers of such mail, his public ip shows up, instead of the public ip of my server.

this ends up with big problems, because many of my customers are small business or private persons, with dinamic IPs that are blacklisted in many places because of the bad politics of spanish ISP (they re-use blacklisted IPs without "cleaning" them first) and so they lose many emails because of antispam systems.

how can i change it so all outgoing email for a certain domain uses my servers ip instead of the end-users ip?

It was implemented to latest Plesk 10.4.4 version. From Release Notes:

[+] (Only for Linux) Outgoing e-mails from a customer's exclusive IP. Outgoing e-mails are sent from a dedicated IP address owned by a customer, thus reducing the risk of blacklisting the whole server for spam. Subscriptions hosted on a single shared IP address will use this shared address for outgoing e-mail (instead of using the IP address occupied by Panel). The feature requires Postfix 2.7+ and is supported on the following operating systems:

CentOS 5
CentOS 6
RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
RedHat Enterprise Linux 6
CloudLinux 5
CloudLinux 6
Ubuntu 10.04
SuSE 11.3
SuSE 11.4
Debian 6

hm, but this way would this mean i have to adquire a new IP for each customer? this would be rather expensive and a waste of resources.

would it be possible that my server has 2 IP, use one for "serious customers" and one for "dangerous customers"?

Sven, no it means that if the customer has a dedicated IP already then it will use his IP to send the mail. This doesnt require you to do anything or purchase anything. Its a basic protection that is now in Plesk that will allow you to put a user on a dedicated IP (for w/e reason) and then if that user gets blocked due to spam or w/e only that dedicated IP is blocked, not your main servers IP.

f6n5i4qweuf, I have no clue how to disable it so sorry about that, but even if it can be why would you need this disabled? This seems like a nice feature.

It sounds like there's been a little miscommunication in this thread. Sven, the mail headers for any email sent via SMTP through your server should always show the IP address of the computer that originated the email, regardless of which MTA you're using (postfix vs qmail), since that will always be the first SMTP conversation. The only thing that has changed with certain very specific configurations is that where previously, all email leaving your server would always be delivered from the first IP address on the server, now, that same email sent by a given customer will be delivered outbound using the IP address that customer's site is hosted on. The customer's computer would have still been in the headers either way.

What is probably more likely to affect people with this change is the fact that many hosting providers still don't have proper reverse DNS set up for their customers' addresses, but probably do have correct reverse DNS for at least the primary server IP they assigned to a customer server.

Any chance that is the cause of your customers not being able to have their mail delivered?

Back