• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

question about security and how to make sure apache etc is up to date

P

ppc

I have been reading all over of all kinds of security vulnerabilities with everything from apache to proftp.

Does the Plesk Updater update Plesk with all of the updates for apache, php etc. ?

If not, how do I make sure that i'm running the latest versions of everything? Is there a way that its automatic?

Would a new version of apache for example, conflict with plesk?

Thanks for your help.

ppc123

Hello,

You can run:

yum update

from a konsole for example.

Then you need to check if everything is ok. (in the upgrade process anything can go wrong or nothing, so you can proceed at your own risk.)

You can approach the upgrade differently:

Check the packages that you think that are vulnerable and update only those.

Plesk renews only its own packages.

Plesk Updater will not update components like apache, PHP and your kernel. You'll need to run your distribution's package manager to keep your system completely up to date. What OS are you running?

I'm using linux centos.

How does one make sure that an update wont conflict with plesk.

There should never be any legitimate conflicts, if it does then contact sw-soft for support since that is a bug. PSA was intended to rely on the the vendor for updates wherever possible.

k thnx. Just ran up2date. It think it worked fine though at the end it said this:

The following Packages were marked to be skipped by your configuration:

Name Version Rel Reason
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kernel 2.6.9 42.0.3.ELPkg name/pattern
kernel-smp 2.6.9 42.0.3.ELPkg name/pattern

what does that mean?

Also, breun(or anyone else), is there a reason i should use YUM instead of up2date?

yum is the 'default' CentOS software manager, so I'd use that, but either should do the job.

And to your question what that means: well, it literally says those kernel packages were skipped because up2date is configured that way. There's probably some kind of exclude statement for kernels in your config. You can always change that behavior of course.

Back