• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Question MPM-mode & php5

L. Hagen

Basic Pleskian
Hello everybody,

when I started with Plesk the apache MPM-mode was set to "prefork" as default. Now I tried to change it to "event". But when I do this the "php5" module will be disabled and greyed out. So it canot be enabled in the "event"-mode.

Perhaps I have a complete misunderstanding, but what I'm doing wrong or how can this be solved?

Thank you for your help and best regards,
Lars

Hi L. Hagen,

Perhaps I have a complete misunderstanding, but what I'm doing wrong or how can this be solved?
If you have modules, which are compiled for a unique apache-version, you have to make sure, that these modules are again compiled for the mpm-event version, if you would like to use them. In other words: "libapache2-mod-php5" ( or "libapache2-mod-php" ) has been compiled for mpm-prefork and not for mpm-event. ;)

Hi L. Hagen,
If you have modules, which are compiled for a unique apache-version, you have to make sure, that these modules are again compiled for the mpm-event version, if you would like to use them. In other words: "libapache2-mod-php5" ( or "libapache2-mod-php" ) has been compiled for mpm-prefork and not for mpm-event. ;)

Hi UFHH01,

ok I see and it sounds obvious. Neverthless, I'm a bit surprised that this is not done (or will be provided by default) by Plesk (especially for such an important module...).

Thx for your help!

Hi L. Hagen,

pls. note, that "libapache2-mod-php5" ( or "libapache2-mod-php" ) ist part of your vendor PHP(5) - package, which you install on your server.

Hi L. Hagen,
pls. note, that "libapache2-mod-php5" ( or "libapache2-mod-php" ) ist part of your vendor PHP(5) - package, which you install on your server.

Hi UFHH01,

yeah and it is allready installed. Otherwise the module wouldn't work in the prefork-mode, would it? But if I'm not wrong and if I understand you in the right way, the module seems not to be compiled in the right way (not for the event-mode) by Plesk, so that I have to do it by myself. Usually not the problem, but I really don't like to touch components which are part of the normal update process. That's not so funny... Or do you know any other method (maybe I'm completely wrong with my thoughts) :)

regards,
Lars

Hi L. Hagen,

neither your apache version, nor your vendor PHP(5) - package are shipped by Plesk.

Pls. inform yourself about apache2-mpm-event and "thread-safe" and you will notice, that PHP iself is NOT thread-safe on linux environments. With apache2-mpm-event, you can't use the module "mod_php", while apache2-mpm-prefork allows the usage of an embedded PHP interpreter. ;)

Back