• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Question regarding plesk and migration manager

Ivica

New Pleskian
Hello everyone

First i will explain situation.

We have 2 servers.

This is first one, a plesk 12.0 cloud linux server with every database on remote server BB

Then we create a new plesk 12.5 cloud linux server and we add same remote server BB on him.

Then we start transfering domains from first 12.0 to second one 12.5 via migration manager.

And here is what happens.

Migrator turns those 12.0 remote databases to local databases in 12.5. He even goes in configuration file of cms and changes localhost from remote IP to localhost :).

My question is simple, is there any way to keep those databases as remote ones ? I don't want them to become local databases.

Now since those databases still exist on remote server someone might say just switch from localhost back to remote IP on new server. But if we go down that path there is one big issue. Those remote databases are not visible in new server's phpmyadmin, and clients will have no way to login into them.

Hope i was clear enough.

Anyone had similar issue and what is best way to approach this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Hello!

Yes, Plesk Migrator has such feature. We call it "Database assimilation scenario": if the same database server attached with both source and target Plesk with the same hostname and port, it will be detected, and step of database content copying will be skipped. Algorithm is the following:

- Detect database server which should be used for hosting of subscription databases: if default database server was specified in subscription service plan settings, it will be used. Otherwise default database server, specified in server wide settings will be used.
- Compare hostname and port of detected target database server with source database server. If it is the same, assimilation scenario will be chosen, otherwise content of database from source will be dumped and restored on target database server (your case).

So you just need to specify your remote database server as default in server wide settings on target Plesk 12.5, or in service plan settings (in this case you need to associate all migrated subscriptions with this service plan).

Last edited:
Hello

This is exactly what I was looking for.

However I do have some questions and issues. I did place remote database server as default one, and disabled access to local one in service plans and in database servers (tools).

However if I enter customer panel and go in database part, localhost is still default database server. So I'm probably missing some part, maybe rebooting server (I restarted mysql) or some other service?

Ps..

We are using cloudlinux aswell, maybe cloudlinux is keeping default database server on localhost despite panel settings? Any idea?

Edit.

Think I found it. In service plans at the bottom of hosting parameters is a small slider where I pick default database server. It was set on localhost.

Last edited:
Probably your customer has an existing database on local database server? Or corresponding subscriptions is locked and not synced with service plan? Did you login into Plesk as customer (using login and password), or impersonate as customer? In the latter case you will have elevated permissions.

I have noticed one more issue, perhaps you can shed some light as well.

On new server we have 4 IPs...while doing migration tools asks me which Ip I want for new one and i pick IP...however after the migration ends I see he took other one.

Not only that but when I go into websites and in web hosting access part I cannot swap to another IP. I can do that easy in old panel.

What might be wrong here, where should I check.

Back