• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Quick Question: CPU Usage History: What is the scope?

W

webface

Hey all,

When I'm in task manager looking at the CPU Usage History graphs on the Performance tab am I looking at the CPU usage for the whole node or for my VPS only? :confused:

Thanks,

webface

This is what I'm seeing on my VPS. Seems like the System process is the culprit fluctuating between 40 and 75+ percent (processes image sorted by CPU usage):

CPU-Usage_2007-05-21_19.25.gif

Processes_2007-05-21_19.33.gif

Anyone have any passing thoughts on this?

Any help or insight would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers

Can't anyone let me know if this kind of CPU usage is normal with Virtuozzo? It definitely doesn't look like normal usage.

Again, any insight would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

Thanks

New Screen Shots

I have a couple more screen shots taken June 2, 2007.

These images were taken after I stopped all services on the VPS using Plesk Services Monitor and also stopped SQL Server 2005 Express.

This VPS is a base install with 3 clients and 6 domains, plus approximately 20 email addresses added through the web based Plesk Control Panel. Three of the domains are currently dormant and not used. The other 3 are very low traffic, low resource ASP sites, but I don't think any of this matters if I've unloaded all services (e.g., web, ftp, email, etc...) cuz they aren't even loaded in memory.

The only software installed beyond the base (skeleton) install from my host is ASP.NET 2.0 and MS SQL Server 2005 Express with Management Studio.

CPU Usage:
CPU-Usage_2007-06-02_23.07.gif

Prcesses:
Processes_2007-06-02_23.06.gif

Does anyone have any input on this? Does this look normal to anyone? This is happening more and more frequently with my host and for much longer periods - anywhere from 2 - 8 hours or more at a time.

According to my host I am guaranteed CPU usage and memory but when this happens it frequently causes my sites and/or the database server to fail to respond or hang. I am supposedly guaranteed 1000 MHz clock speed and 512 MB RAM. According to their details page the server is a Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz with 4 GB RAM.

I'm normally alerted to the problem by my site monitoring services, but sometimes I just happen to be logged in and notice the CPU graph start to climb.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I forgot to mention that I've frequently rebooted when this occurs but it never fixes the problem. The second I get a ping response I log back into the VPS via Remote Desktop and pull up the Task Manager and the CPU is still maxed. Lately I've stopped trying to reboot because it can take from 10 minutes to an hour or so (as in the night I took these images).

CPU Usage

Poking around in the Virtuozzo knowledge base there are a couple of article you might want to check out numbers 1703 and 1257. They don't answer your specific question but they address how to allocate cpu bandwidth between VPS's, etc. Your posts indicate that you are looking a performance in the task manager of something, is this the node or VPS. Are you doing this remotely? If so, how?

GG

Back