• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Receiving emails dont work, sending works

Sally1

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I have my Virtual Server with Plesk Onyx and Centos, by provider 1 und 1. I use cloudflare for my domain, and in provider dashboard I set dns to cloudflare servers.

The mx records are set also on Cloudflare to Provider Mailservers:

10 mx00.kundenserver.de

mx01.kundenserver.de

I have installed Postfix on my Server. Sending email works perfect from Wordpress and from webmail on server.

But when I send an email to mailbox created on my server, the email not arrives.

What can be the Problem?

Thx

Sally

Hi Sally1,

log - files and configuration could help to investigate your issues/errors/problems and you should be aware, that each operating system ( and it's version ) could have different root causes for your issues/errors/problems.

If you desire help from the Plesk Community, pls start with the follwoing informations at least:

Code:
plesk version

... and consider to post relevant log - entries and keep in mind, that configuration files could as well help to investigate the issues/errors/problems.

Hello UFHH01,

yes please see here:

‪CentOS 6.9 (Final)

Plesk Onyx
Version 17.5.3 Update #6, last updated on May 18, 2017

When restarting Postfix i get this output:

tail - f /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

May 20 08:22:03 s18723601 postfix/postfix-script[6384]: stopping the Postfix mail system

May 20 08:22:03 s18723601 postfix/master[21626]: terminating on signal 15

May 20 08:22:03 s18723601 postfix/postfix-script[6453]: warning: not set-gid or not owner+group+world executable: /usr/sbin/postdrop

May 20 08:22:03 s18723601 postfix/postfix-script[6460]: starting the Postfix mail system

May 20 08:22:04 s18723601 postfix/master[6462]: daemon started -- version 2.11.5, configuration /etc/postfix

Please let me know, if you need more information

Thanks a Lot!

Best Regards
Sally

Last edited:
When sending from my external gmail Address to the mail address i get the reply delivery status notification failure:

** Address not found **

Your message wasn't delivered to [email protected] because the address couldn't be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try again.

The response was:

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

if kundenserver.de is the real domain, the mx records points to mxint01.1and1.com See Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email
Have you made arrangements that this server forwards the mails to your plesk server? Otherwise mail will be delivered at 1and1.com and not at your server.

Or if you added the correct mx records in DNS of Cloudflare make sure that the ns records points to the cloudflare provided servernames and not to 1and1 servers.

Last edited:
Hello Eilko,

the cloudflare mx records point at the moment to the 2 servers of 1and1.com. In my DNS Settings i have the following mx record for the real domain lemontrend.com. MX (10) mail.lemontrend.com.

Means i have to take out the 2 other 1and 1 mx records, and add only the real domain record to cloudflare, and add also the NS pointing to cloudflare servernames?

Thx
Sally

Hello,

can someone point me in the right direction, where which record have to be created?

My understanding is yet the following:

1und1 where my Domain is hosted, the mx records should be lemontrend.com. MX (10) mail.lemontrend.com. and additional as backup mailserver the 1und1 mailserver

Cloudflare DNS: also the MX Record lemontrend.com. MX (10) mail.lemontrend.com and the additional 1und1 mailserver with a lower priority

DNS Settings in Plesk of my Domain:

MX (10) mail.lemontrend.com

A Record Pointing back to my Public IP

What kind of records else i need to get my mailserver working correct?

Thx
Sally

You have your DNS for lemondtrend.com at Cloudflare so you need to adjust setting there. The DNS settings in Plesk are doing nothing.

Your current DNS says via the MX records that email should be send to 1and1. See Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email
Replace these two MX records with two records:

MX 10 mail.lemondtrend.com
and point mail.lemondtrend.com to the IP-adres of your Plesk server

Now email should be delivered at your plesk server. If this is working you can add a backup MX record for 1and1. Check with 1and1 what server name to use. Make sure the priority of the backup server is lower than 10. See also Domain mit anderem Mailserver nutzen (MX-Einträge bearbeiten) - 1&1 Hilfe Center

Hello Eilko,

thanks for your update. Defined the MX record with 10 mail.lemontrend.com and set an A Record Pointing back to my Public Server IP (Cloudflare DNS) When sending yet to a mailbox on my server from external, the error 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable , is not anymore replied when sending. But when i check in webmail, no email arrives to this mailbox. What else i could check to get this working?

Thx
Sally

send an email to a mailbox on your plesk server, check /var/log/maillog if this email arrives and is processed

Now, the emails arriving :) May i ask you regarding the firewall rules, is it necessary to allow incoming from all for the following services?

rule-allow.png
SMTP (submission port) server Allow incoming from all
rule-allow.png
SMTP (mail sending) server Allow incoming from all
rule-allow.png
IMAP (mail retrieval) server Allow incoming from all

Thx
Sally

smtp is used to receive emails from other mailservers, so yes enable for all. submission is mostly used to send emails from mailclients. so usually also all. imap is used to retrieve email from your server by clients. so usually all. if you are the only client you can limited it to your own ip's, but this also limites outdoor usage. So I have them all set to all.

Back