• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Redundant Servers

B

bjsteiger

Hello Everyone...

I have dug and dug through these forums for a solid explanation of what to do regarding redundant servers.

My worst nightmare is that right now I have one server - what happens if it crashes? I currently have a nightly backup to an off-site secure FTP. My server is no where close to me.

I have read that the best way to help me sleep at night is to have a fully redundant (mirrored) server, with the issues being the storing mail and mysql backups.

So I need to get a second server - but what do I do next? I saw the link to atomiicrocketturtle about a secondary DNS, but it mentions nothing about backing up the mail and mysql....

Any help would be so appreciated!!

Thank you!
brandon

Redundancy is a very broad term. Do you want real time redundancy and load balancing or just simply mirror the data off every 4, 6, or 12 hours or so?

MySQL replication can be done natively and you can pretty much rsync the rest of the static data off to another server on any schedule you want.

What's the URL to your website and i"ll take a closer look and possibly give you a better recommendation (more like my humble opinion). There's alot of factors involved, for example your application requirements, bandwidth, what type and characteristic of traffic, and then there's always the cost of hardware and more.

Do you want real time redundancy and load balancing or just simply mirror the data off every 4, 6, or 12 hours or so?
I am really looking to have a mirror of the current server (files, mysql, email, etc.). I am thinking of doing this ever 24 hours, but I can imagine the frequency being increased over time.

Here is one site: http://www.journeyipod.com - but I have several others (30 sites in total).

Because I am so new to this here is what I image I need to do:

1) Get a server with exactly the same setup as my current plesk server

2) Figure out how to move data (files, email, and mysql) from one server to the other via a cron job.

3) Figure out a way that if server #1 goes down that all traffic would automatically point to server #2

Thank you for your help!
brandon

You might consider the following for 30 domains.

1. Get a server setup identical to what you have now.

2. Use the built in Plesk utilities (psadump/psarestore) to dump out each client/domain to a file which includes all their emails, mysql databases,etc ....

3. Copy the dumped files to the secondary server on some scheduled basis. The psadump/psarestore commands have this functionality or you can use a cron job.

4. Import the dumped files back into Plesk using the same built in utilities.

i can do this for you .it will cost .contact me for neg. its worth it .
david

We can do the same for you. [email protected] for more info. We'd be glad to help ya, but this is definitely a job, not a suggestion or two :)

Regards,

Similar prob with reduntacy

I am having the same prob as this person. I have one server offsite which is my main server. Then I have a server in my house as a backup. Bother are the same win2003 machines with the same plesks.

I have all sites running on both machines but when the main server goes down it does not go to the other server.

I have registered an ip that goes to my house as a name sever (NS3.aned.com) The other ns1 and ns2 go to the main server.

How do I make it so that if my main server goes down all the sites or sites that maybe down switch over to my other server?

Any help would be great ful.
Kevin

Back