• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Remote Smartermail server - permissions denied

AdamB

New Pleskian
I have two brand new servers both with Windows Server 2012 R2 one containing only Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 Update #37 and the other containing only SmarterMail 15.7. I have used Smartermail for many years but this is my first attempt at using the remote Smartermail option so am unsure about what features I should expect as I know the Plesk support page says limited features are available (Remote SmarterMail Support (Windows)) but I get no features what-so-ever.

I have the Power Pack licence and have connected the remote SmarterMail server in the server components which is showing the correct version from Smartermail
12709-5c9cbf1a400258a5be80fc50d9f8d75d.jpg

I have made sure the Enable mail management functions in Plesk is ticked in the Mail Settings
12710-e49d38e70aecf20f27861dbd8a8f19d2.jpg

I do get the Mail button for each domain but don't get the Email Address and Mail Settings options which show up when I have the local version of Smartermail running on the server
12711-883fe187922efdd6161875b261041103.jpg

Every time I click this Mail button I simply get the error message "Warning: Permission denied."

I was expecting to be able to still create email accounts with Plesk and just have features like anti-virus and spam protection unavailable to Plesk. I have made sure Plesk can see the Remote Smartermail and allowed all relevant ports in the firewall.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction or indeed tell me what features I can expect to have in Plesk or if mail account now needs to be created separately from Plesk in Smartermail itself?

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 8
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 7
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 8
  • screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 7
Plesk will create a domain administrator and all the individual accounts on the SmarterMail server. Deleting the domain in Plesk will remove it from the SM server. Plesk shows some basic mailbox usage stats and you can enable forwards & aliases, change passwords, change mailbox size in Plesk. As you say things like spam control, AV, autoresponders etc are handled directly in SM.

Thank you for clearing up what I should be expecting, at least now I know I definately have an issue somewhere.

Last edited:
Back