• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Removal of -bs option from plesk-sendmail-wrapper

micheloe

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9.2009 x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44.0
Hi,

As of Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44 (24 may 2022), and more specifically PPPM-13497 the -bs options appears to be disallowed from the postfix-sendmail-wrapper. I take it this is the "fix" for being able to bypass email sending restrictions? Since this update we encounter the following issues on CentOS 7.

The following is being logged in the kernel diagnostic messages:
[2430693.142798] sendmail[20013]: segfault at a ip 000000000040d8c3 sp 00007ffe62a1b300 error 4 in postfix-sendmail-wrapper[400000+18000]

The /var/log/maillog shows:
plesk-sendmail[6588]: S6588: Stand-alone SMTP server mode is prohibited

We use Symfony mailer as PHP library for sending emails using the SendmailTransport with -bs mode, as this is the recommended mode according to Symfony: Sending Emails with Mailer (Symfony Docs). They explicitly state that the -t option is advised against, but now it seems we're left with only that option.

Side note: we have outgoing mail control disabled globally on our systems as we do not require it.

Am I correct in reasoning the -bs option cannot be used at all anymore? Because if this is the case, I'm pretty sure many more people using Symfony and the Sendmail transport in the "correct" way (according to Symfony that is) will trip over this.

Oh and the segfault particularly suggests this "feature" is implemented badly. Has this been thought through by Plesk QA?

Guys, I suggest you submit detailed report here Reports and I will forward it to developers for the further clarifications.

Only users with 5 or more helpful posts are allowed to create report there.

Guys, I suggest you submit detailed report here Reports and I will forward it to developers for the further clarifications.
I created the report, clicked Submit and missed off the expected result. Would presume this was obvious, "an email gets sent".

Now I have to wait for 3 minutes before clicking Submit again! :rolleyes:

@micheloe I've submitted the report using your text, which was excellent btw.

Back