1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

removing local dns and mysql

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.2 General Discussion' started by wsani, Jun 2, 2008.

1. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the whole point of having a centralized resource was to remove the overhead on the local servers.

When I add a Plesk server to Expand, I still see the local MySQL server. Suggestions?

2. andy18

andy18 Guest

When I install the Plesk server to a dedicated mail server, it ask for FTP services even we don't need that in a standalone mail server environment. Some enhancement should be done on this.

3. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    I don't see how your question is relevant to my post but thanks for sharing.

4. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    Have I misunderstood the nature of Plesk Expand? Why is there a new run mail and DNS on the locally? Someone?

5. Bers

Bers Basic Pleskian Staff Member

70%
    Hello,

First of all you should create a Central DB server and assign your Plesk servers to it, the new databases will be created on your Central DB server. But the databases, which were created before assigning to CDB, still stay at the local DB server. And also you should remember what Plesk for Unix uses local MySQL db server for storing his internal data, like clients and domains information.

To use Central Mail and Central DNS services you also should register the correspondent servers and assign Plesk servers to them. After that you can stop your local mail and dns services (note: You can stop using your local dns service only if your CDNS server is in Master Hidden mode).

best regards,

6. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    Okay, so I registered the central database server. However, when a client is setting-up a database, they have the option of selecting either the 'local' or 'remote' hosts. I want them to be able to only select the remote host.

See attached!

Attached Files:

7. Bers

Bers Basic Pleskian Staff Member

70%
    Plesk CP has no such functionality to exclude 'local' servers from list of DB servers. You can only remove it manually from Plesk database.

8. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    Hmm, okay. I guess my understanding of centralizing a resource also includes removing access to the local database, so the end-users won't end up with databases all over the place. I guess Plesk Expand still needs some basic feature tweaks.