• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

(RESOLVED) Repairing mail service on Postfix service node after mchk utility has been executed

joseph

New Pleskian
Hi
I executed the much command thinking that I have mail problem on plesk, only that this command broke instead of repair it.
when i googled it i found this article that describe exactly my problem and the solution
http://kb.odin.com/en/116565
only problem i dont understand what does it mean management node even after having googled it, and i don't know where to go to access it. I am not sure if I can just except this commands on ssh then it will work or brake completely my mail service.
moreover I am not sure of how to do steps 4 and 5.
If anybody can tell me if uninstalling postfix and install it can resolve my problem and If it will not delete all my mails, or if any body knows a simpler way to fix this problem or a detailed tutorial.
thank you very much
best regard
joseph

Hi joseph,

neither uninstalling nor re-installing qmail or postfix will result in any deletion of mail - accounts or mails on your server. You can savely use such commands on your server.
The same applies for using the Plesk "mchk" utility.

Another solution to "repair" misconfgurations, is to switch to qmail and backwards to postfix again ( or the other way round, if you use qmail as your preferred MTA ). You can do this over the Plesk Control Panel, using the "Add or Remove Components" link on your start page, or you use the command line:

This will install qmail and uninstall postfix:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component qmail

This will install postfix and uninstall qmail:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component postfix

Plesk stores as well previous MTA - configurations at:

/var/lib/plesk/cfgmon/

You can always restore these previous configuration files, by copying them back to the depending folders.

Example:

Make a backup of the existing configuration files for postfix:

mv /etc/postfix master.cf /etc/postfix master.cf.backup
mv /etc/postfix main.cf /etc/postfix main.cf.backup
locate the configuration files at:

ls -lht /var/lib/plesk/cfgmon/ | grep .cf
( output examples: master.cf_UNIX_DATE_AND_TIME / main.cf_UNIX_DATE_AND_TIME )
Copy files and rename them:

cp /var/lib/plesk/cfgmon/master.cf_UNIX_DATE_AND_TIME /etc/postfix/master.cf
cp /var/lib/plesk/cfgmon/main.cf_UNIX_DATE_AND_TIME /etc/postfix/main.cf
Restart postfix with the new configuration:

service postfix restart
or
/etc/init.d/postfix restart

BUT: I really suggest, that you should consider to investigate your issue(s) over your log - files and the depending configuration files:

If you are not aware, what the cause of your issue(s) is, you might experience future failures/problems/issues. If you need help with the investigations, just post errors from your logs, name your current operating system and current Plesk version ( incl. MU ) and add the configuration files to your post. You will see, that users of this forum are willing to help you to solve your issue.

After using the Plesk "mchk" utility, you could as well investigate the depending log - file for issues/failures/problems.

Thank you very much, i have just switched from postfix to qmail and back to postfix and it resolved the problem.
very grateful.
best regards
joseph

Back