• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

reverse DNS and SMTP banner issues.

maxD

New Pleskian
Hi all

I'm using Plesk 11
posfix
Centos 6

Now it seems I have some issues with Records, getting "Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner"

I do understand that to fix that my PTR record must match my Host name and also must match mailserver

like :

PTR record for for the IP of mail1.example.com must be mail1.example.com
And it must also match host name
ok let say I'm setting host name as mail1.example.com

But what if I have few domains on the server, ?

Regards

Usually your server sends mail as it self (ie its own hostname). So it really does not matter how many domains you have, all are represented by your server hostname.

Yes but i will always get then error for each domain like "Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner"
Cause mail1.example2.com mail1.example3.com will never match Host name
so any way to avoid that and fix thsi record "Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner" fr every domain on the server ?

cheers

When and where do you get that error?

And by the way SPF records can help here too ..

I've noticed this error when using such tools as MXtoolbox.com.

As I have a VPS, my providers IP PTR record does not match the hostname of my server.

I haven't had any real issues as I use SPF records for all my domains.

The only solution to that problem is to ask the provider create a PTR record for the IP address that matches your hostname. Some DCs provide this feature ...

Ok lads I think u did not got the problem

I can create PTR record 1 for each IP

SO let say I have few domains on the server Domain1.com Domain2.com etc

both of them are on the same server which have One host name (obviously :) ) and both have own Dedicated IP's IP's

I can create IP reverse (ptr record) for each IP (one per IP only, can't be done otherwise)

Everithing will work perfect if on the server will be 1 Domain then hostname of the server = PTR record = mailserver

so if we have few domains this blows away cause host name stays always one and can't match all domains

and I have suspicions that hotmail.com blocks in that case

cheers

About SPF

I've got this :

SPF record lookup and validation for: domain.com

SPF records are primarily published in DNS as TXT records.

The TXT records found for your domain are:
v=spf1 +a +mx -all

SPF records should also be published in DNS as type SPF records.
No type SPF records found.

Checking to see if there is a valid SPF record.

Found v=spf1 record for domain.com:
v=spf1 +a +mx -all

evaluating...
SPF record passed validation test with pySPF (Python SPF library)!

Back