• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Reverse DNS records in /var/named/chroot/var in-addr.arpa files

Miguel_Tellería

Basic Pleskian
Platform: Plesk 12.0.18, CentOS 6, historically migrated from a Plesk 11 version.

Dear all,

When I do a dig -x <IP_address> from the server I get several outdated results due to PTR bind files (nnn-nnn-nnn.in-addr.arpa) that sit on the /var/named/chroot/var directory and are referenced from the /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf file.

Looking in the psa database, I only find the PTR record for the FQDN of the machine in the table dns_rec. The other records do not appear even when editing the DNS zones that they reference to in the panel.

I would like to know how can I remove those records:
- Can I just remove them from the named.conf file and erase the files?
- is there a CLI tool to repair this?

Thank you n advance for your suggestions.

Look at dns utility:

# plesk bin dns --help

You can try to restore the default resource records for a domain's zone based on the Plesk server DNS zone template with --reset option. After that you can modify zone as it is required.

Thanks Igor for your suggestion, but at the end I removed the files and removed the in-addr.arpa zones in named.conf ignoring the warnings of "DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS GENERATED"

I left the zone with the FQDN though since it appears in the database and it seems to be low-level hardcoded into Plesk.

So far Plesk has respected my modifications by no adding those removed zones again.

I tried later your approach (resetting the zone) but it didn't do any change. It restored the template alright but the PTR addresses didn't come up (fortunately).

So I will stay like this for the moment.

Back