• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Reverse Proxy Setup: VPS + Mikrotik DDNS – Feeling Lost

BTTech

New Pleskian
I am a noob, yes, and if I’m being stupid, tell me outright, but all I wanted was for my hosting company, from which I rent a VPS, to grant me access to write my own reverse proxy for NGINX after I enabled it on my subdomain. I want to use eg: tv.mydomain.com:8887 to point traffic to a DDNS-enabled Mikrotik on my home network and forward the ports and traffic to my media server. But after my experience with support, I’m feeling like a moron.

Here’s the situation: I’m renting a Plesk VPS with a shared dedicated IP, and I have a DDNS-enabled Mikrotik router at home. All I want to do is point my subdomain to my Mikrotik DDNS. I’m fully prepared to handle the port forwarding on my home network. However, i feel like i waisted my time, aritime and DATA talking and working with techs that just wanted to be done with me or had no idea how DDNS works, the issue I keep running into is this: every support tech I speak with at my hosing tells me I need a public static IP for this setup to work.

I don’t want to pay for a static IP on my home network, and that’s why I’m using DDNS. I’ve explained this several times, but they keep repeating the same thing. What’s confusing and iv told them, is that when I set up a CNAME record pointing to the device’s DDNS, traffic works fine, and I can remotely log in and work on my Mikrotik and access my media server from an external network on their open ports. All i want is to set up my own reverse proxy on the VPS that points to my DDNS device on a specific port, so I can do internal forwarding.

Literally all I’m asking is for the ability to add my custom reverse proxy on the VPS to point to my DDNS, and I’ll bang my head against the wall to manage the rest (port forwarding firewall rules, etc.). The VPS should support this setup without needing a static IP at home, correct?

Could someone experienced with Mikrotik DDNS and reverse proxies point me in the right direction ? Is this setup possible, am I missing something ? Or must i just transfer to a hosting company that has this enabled by default for their VPS user's ?

Thanks and appoligies in advance for any help or frustation !

Back