• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs RHEL8's default umask for sshd process (0077) causes unexpected behaviour for Plesk users with SSH access

nilsringersma_nl

Basic Pleskian
Username: nilsringersma_nl

TITLE

RHEL8's default umask for sshd process (0077) causes unexpected behaviour for Plesk users with SSH access

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

CentOS Linux 8.2.2004 (Core)
Plesk Obsidian V18.0.30 Update #2

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Hi Devs,

In RHEL7 the default Umask for newly created homedirs is '0022' in RHEL8 this is changed to '0077' as explained here. This change is also mentioned in Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1777718.

Plesk allows us to enable access via SSH for subscription owners (regardless of the shell but I used /bin/bash). When creating files via that SSH user the file permissions are set with the earlier explained Umask octave. In RHEL8 this means the new file will have no r(wx) permissions for the group/others. Deploying website files via the SSH user this results in the webserver returning a 403 for those files.

I understand this is beyond the scope of Plesk but can be solved rather easily by setting the Umask for newly created homedirs in /etc/login.defs. I believe this should either be done when installing Plesk or should at least be mentioned in your article about CentOS 8/RHEL 8 support in Plesk.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Use RHEL8 with Plesk obsidian.
2. Create a subscription.
3. Allow that subscription owner access via SSH with /bin/bash
4. Login to that SSH user and create a file (touch test)
5. Now compare the file permissions to those of a file created with the same proces on .i.e. RHEL7

ACTUAL RESULT

-rw-------. 1 webreact-staging psacln 0 Oct 16 13:11 test

EXPECTED RESULT

-rw-r--r--. 1 webreact-staging psacln 0 Oct 16 13:18 test

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

1777718 – default umask for sshd process is 0077

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Back