• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Rights on /var/*

AHachmann

New Pleskian
Hi,
Me little dumm a** has run a command on /var/git to set rights and onwer without being cautious enough.
I have run chown git:git .* -R which did not only run direction downwards the tree but upwards as well :-(

Does anybody know if there is a way to reset permissions and ownership for the directories back to standard?
I tried /usr/local/psa/bin/repair already. Did lot of the fixes, but not all is in line yet.

I would be very happy, if someone could lead me to a good trick.

Regards,
Alex

Well, you did not only change the permissions for files, you changed them for directories as well. There is no "redo" - function for such commands, so it is wise to re-install the complete server, because the investigations for the right permissions will take hours/days for the whole /var/* - directory.

... ah... and for the next time... you now see, that backups are necessary, if you "play" with your server. Before changing / editing things, you always should have made a backup before.

Back