• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Rookie looking for direction... your help appreciated

D

danolie

Hello,

I am a complete rookie to any type of server management. I am using virtual dedicated hosting with GoDaddy... I had around 30 sites all using shared hosting at HostRocket, and thought this would be a good way to save some cash... HOWEVER, I don't know where to start. I have activated the Plesk control panel, figured out how to add a client, how to add domains, etc... I have read much of the Plesk documentation, but I need BASIC instructions on 'connecting the dots' so to speak.

I realize these questions are very basic in nature, and if your answers are simply to tell me to RTFM, please refrain... at least direct me to some specific resources. :)

I purchased this virtual dedicated hosting with the plesk control panel and 30 domains...

Here are a couple of my many questions:

Setting up nameservers... Do I need to pick a domain to act as a nameserver, and just create 2 nameservers using the registrar control panel? (then use these nameservers for all the domains I put there)?

I'm assuming that is correct and have created ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com - AND... does this require more than one IP address? I just have one right now. Is it ok to have both nameservers pointing to the same IP?

If some patient soul can give me some basic instructions it would be great...

A good provider will happily walk you through a new server. That's part of providing good support. Call your hosting provider and see what they say.

one would hope

but that is not the case. GoDaddy has continually just referred me to the Plesk website.

(which is why I mention "a good provider") Maybe time to evaluate what makes a good provider and what just makes a cheap one.

I will take that into consideration. I fortunately am only month to month with Godaddy.com. I just don't want to discount the fact that I'm starting from ground zero on this and I can't expect a hosting provider to provide me w/all the tech support for a 3rd party app... HOWEVER, I appreciate the suggestion and will check out other options :) (saw the link in your sig. will be in touch)

you need two IPs to register two domainservers. These two IPs point to the same server.

You can use the same ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com for all domains on that server, or choose to use two names per domain you host. You might need two IPs per domain.

I seem to have acheived some level of success

I have now pointed 2 domains to the new server. WOO HOO! :) THis is an accomplishment for me.... indulge me.

ANYWAY, when I created the nameservers in Godaddy, since I only had one IP address, I used the same IP for both nameservers. Is that a problem?? it seems to be working.

Thanks for your help.

RFC 2182 states that you need at least 2 nameservers. Some very small hosts get away with a single server using 2 IP addresses on a single machine, but this leaves you with no redundancy.

At any rate, you should absolutely use 2 IP addresses as nameservers, even if you're going to confine both IP's to a single physical machine.

what is RFC 2182 ? Also... when you say 2 ip addresses confined tot he same machine... isn't that what is done w/most shared hosting??

RFC 2182:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2182.html

Shared hosting refers to binding multiple domains to the same IP address.

Binding multiple IP addresses to a single machine is what we're talking about here. Which should not be a problem. Most likely your host already has that done for you.

Do any of you pros have any suggestions for me as I try to learn more about how allof this works? "server management for dummies" or something? I'm slowly figuring it out, but could use a dummies guide. :)

You can use the SEARCH option below, try to put in there all your questions, MANY and maybe ALL of them have already been answered.

Hope this helps.

Back