• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Roundcube 1.4 released

I just ran through the tutorial posted by @Reboot on a fresh server and it was flawless (except for one path that was different here, but no biggie). Would really like to hear the official word from Plesk on why they don't want to do this right away, but I guess we all know the real answer to that.

Anyway, I'll move some customers over to that server and see how it holds up.

@Reboot, thank you so much! I've successfully followed your tutorial on a former production server running Plesk Onyx 17.8.11. Everything went smooth and I had the new roundcube with Elastic skin perfectly working. Of course, I needed to replicate the customizations I made for roundcube 1.3, including my custom logo, on the newroundcube 1.4 installation.

A negligible flaw is that in Plesk Panel mail settings, the webmail dropdown menu still shows Roundcube 1.3.10. Items shown are: Horde, AtMail, Roundcube 1.3.10. I tried to change webmail to Horde and then to roundcube 1.3.10: roundcube 1.4 is actually activated and it's still perfectly working.

In order to see how the new roundcube copes with Plesk updates, I then tried to get Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 update from #81 to #83: everything kept working fine!

Finally, I tried upgrading from Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.2. The pre-install check warned me with the following message:

WARNING: There are custom web server configuration templates at /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom. These custom templates might be incompatible with a new Plesk version, and this might lead to failure to generate web server configuration files. Remove the directory to get rid of this warning. Please check Apache config file cannot be generated: Wrong variable to subsitute for details.

I went on with the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.2 and everything worked well. Roundcube 1.4.3 with elastic skin is still there!

@Reboot yes, thanks i have also updated on my servers as well.
If anyone need help to implement on their server Roundcube 1.4 let me know i can help.

If you want to leave old roundcube fail2ban jail then you should add this in custom roundcube fail2ban

Code:
[custom-roundcube]
action = iptables-multiport[name="plesk-roundcube-custom", port="http,https,7080,7081"]
filter = plesk-roundcube
logpath = /var/log/custom-roundcube/errors.log

Otherwise it will throw error on jail enable, about duplicate.

Last edited:
Someone contacted me on Upwork regarding creating them a custom extension for them with @Reboot's method.

Not sure if it's someone that is registered here, however, as I discussed with this individual - I offered them a bargain price in exchange for releasing the module here for everyone else, and at no cost.

It's slated to be completed within the next week, and will be tested out on approximately 50 servers that this client has prior to being released.

Someone contacted me on Upwork regarding creating them a custom extension for them with @Reboot's method.

Not sure if it's someone that is registered here, however, as I discussed with this individual - I offered them a bargain price in exchange for releasing the module here for everyone else, and at no cost.

It's slated to be completed within the next week, and will be tested out on approximately 50 servers that this client has prior to being released.

Please take note that it was a quick write-up on how I did it on one of the servers I maintain. It is not meant to be a 'one-stop-shop' for all Plesk servers. I simply got bored on waiting for them releasing it. For example, it does not account for nginx-only environments (it will be easy to get that working as well though, I suspect it's just overriding the right template for nginx's roundcube template and adding the right php-fpm config, but haven't tested it). You certainly need to check for the path on other distributions as well.

I could have created a module for it but I think it is up to Plesk to provide us with a current version - also I didn't want to do the maintenance for it. But I'm happy to read someone does it, thanks for the effort.

This client is using Cloudlinux, thus, it should be doable in similar fashion. We shall see soon enough.

I wouldn't have spent time on this otherwise, if it wasn't for this client paying me to do so.

It will be going up on Github once complete so i'm happy to provide any bug fixes. If anyone that has followed @Reboot's directions has any input on anything they performed differently, I'm all ears as well.

For example, it does not account for nginx-only environments
FYI on my servers I leave Apache installed (mainly as fallback/compatibility) but set up websites to run on NGINX only, so your walkthrough worked just fine for me - AND I get to run my sites on the fastest server ever ;)

Hey guys, on an unrelated note... a quite while ago I heard about a package called Crossbox, which is meant to implement a fully functional mail server with all components, including a webmail - much like Mailcow, Mail-in-a-box or iRedmail. I experimented briefly with this before settling on using Plesk (and previously, Cpanel) integrated mail solution.

But then with the RC 1.4 situation detailed on this topic, I came across Crossbox again, almost by accident. And I saw that the product evolved quite nicely, now offering seamless integration with Plesk: Plesk | CrossBox

Crossbox isn't free but it is quite affordable, and their webmail client is top notch. I read some of their documentation and there are some interesting use cases in there, even for using multiple servers and such... If anyone's interested, I can create a separate thread so we can discuss this.

Thanks so much to @Reboot - amazing guide and super help to get up and running on the latest version of Roundcube.

I was wondering if anyone had any issues securing with Let's Encrypt? When I am generating an SSL certificate for my clients I check the website, mail and webmail boxes to secure all three. However, since applying these updates to get the latest Roundcube, it fails when trying to secure the webmail address. I had to temporarily revert back to get it to properly secure the webmail interface. It wasn't a huge issue but was a bit annoying. I can easily do it for additional domains but just thought I would ask if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks!

Thanks so much to @Reboot - amazing guide and super help to get up and running on the latest version of Roundcube.

I was wondering if anyone had any issues securing with Let's Encrypt? When I am generating an SSL certificate for my clients I check the website, mail and webmail boxes to secure all three. However, since applying these updates to get the latest Roundcube, it fails when trying to secure the webmail address. I had to temporarily revert back to get it to properly secure the webmail interface. It wasn't a huge issue but was a bit annoying. I can easily do it for additional domains but just thought I would ask if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks!

Yep, overlooked that part.

To fix it, execute the following command:

Code:
ln -s /usr/share/psa-roundcube/.well-known /usr/share/custom-roundcube/.well-known

That should fix it. Edited my original post to reflect the change.

Back