• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue roundcube gives SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed with postfix

Linulex

Silver Pleskian
On postfix servers roundcube cant send mail if authentication is closed and gives the error

SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed

I know of article SMTP authentication fails with SMTP Error (250): Authentication failed but thats not an option. We choose to only open port 587 for smtp.

strange enough: horde works fine

On qmail servers it also works fine: roundcube is sending without any problems and authentication is closed on port 25.

on both qmail and postfix servers the whitelist only has localhost in it 127.0.0.1 and ::1

Can i change roundcube config /usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/defaults.inc.php line 255 without having problems down the line when plesk updates roundcube?

$config['smtp_port'] = 25;
into
$config['smtp_port'] = 587;

is there a place i could make the change so it will not be overwritten by plesk in the future?

regards
Jan

Indeed, file /usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/defaults.inc.php is a part of plesk-roundcube package. The last time this package was updated on November 15.
As a possible solution, I can recommend you lock this package for the further updates:

Screenshot at Jan 24 10-48-27.png

The last time this package was updated on November 15.
As a possible solution, I can recommend you lock this package for the further updates:

and on 14 november it was updated due to a serious vulnerability in Roundcube Change Log for Plesk

im sorry to say, but a recommendation to potential compromise security if something doesn't work as it should, is the last thing i thought i would hear from a plesk staff member.

Plesk gives me the ability to close port 25 and open 587, horde works in that setup, so should the other webmail that is provided by plesk. without having to compromise security on the server.

regards
Jan

Hi Linulex,

I have had some trouble with that error, so, I hope that these change that I have done on my server can help you :

• $config['smtp_server'] = 'tls://%n';
  • $config['smtp_port'] = 587;
  • $config['cipher_method'] = 'AES-256-CBC';

The last thing that you can do, for more security is to change the default parameter in this line with new one:

• $config['des_key'] =

Back