• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Running Plesk 12 on centos7 Azure cloud

Miltos_Tsatsakis

New Pleskian
Hi,

I would like to ask if its possible ( supported ) to run Parallers Plesk 12 Panel on centos 7 ( openlogic) in Microsoft Azure infrastructure.

Thanks in advance.
Miltos

You can try, at least and share your experience to community :)

IgorG Thanks for your reply!

Anyone else trying to install Plesk 12 on centos based Vms( openlogic ) in Azure cloud ?? :):)

@Miltos_Tsatsakis,

Any OS on Azure Cloud can be selected: Plesk works fine.

Note that there are some important things to consider:

a) make sure that the Azure endpoints (i.e. the equivalent of ports) are open: just allow the standard ports that Plesk requires for any normal Linux distribution,

b) all Azure VMs have a non-root user account (with password or passwordless):

1 - choose the passwordless option (read: certificate based authentication), this is more secure
2 - do not add a root account
3 - just use the command sudo -i to obtain root privileges, after logging in with the (non-root) user account
4 - be SURE to block all access to port 22, with the exception of your own IP or the IPs of sysadmins (read: configure proper ACL, blocking all "other" IPs)

c) only install Plesk with the autoinstaller (URL: http://autoinstall.plesk.com/plesk-installer, if I am not mistaken), after running the command sudo -i at login of the server

d) all Linux VMs are able to run a default Plesk instance, but consider that

- Windows VMs are required for Plesk for Windows,
- Windows VMs need to be of (at least) the type Basic A1 (as a result of memory usage), as opposed to Linux VM (even a Basic A0 can suffice)
- Linux VMs are best to be of the type Standard A1 (in order to prevent some issues) or the SSD based D series (I am just mentioning the "cheapest ones" that can suffice)

and many other remarks can be made.

In short, it is possible, but it often is more convenient and safe to take the "cheaper" alternative of a normal VPS (outside of Azure).

Note that I personally recommend to (at least) try Azure (since it has various valuable functionalities), but also want to point out that it can become a daunting task to run Plesk on Azure and, moreover, it is not efficient or cost-effective if you do not require a vast infrastructure of servers (VMs), networks and so on.

Naturally, if you have any questions, just ask them or start a personal conversation with me.

Regards......

BTW, here is very useful document:

Attachments

• Copy NSK of Deploying Plesk 12.5.30 on Microsoft® Azure‎®.pdf.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
BTW, here is very useful document:

@IgorG,

In the pdf document provided, there are some real underestimated issues and even misuse or underuse of the Azure structure.

It has to be emphasized that it is a (unsecure) setup "manual for dummies".

Some tips are probably welcome, so I will give them (note: from the back of my head)

a) do not assign a D1 v2 series VM, just use the F series (better suited for web hosting, huge bandwidth, all SSD based and the costs are the same)

b) assign a file share (essentially 5TB of disk space) to the VM (instead of regular disks) and only pay for what you use

c) fix the IP to a PUBLIC STATIC IP (!), otherwise the IP will change each time the gets stopped and started again (or even at a restart)

d) use the ARM (Azure Resource Manager) model when creating VMs, instead of classic VMs (!!!!)

e) use a Nginx proxy and leave the Plesk VM on the internal network IP (!!!), various options to take care of this

and so on, the above is not complete at all.

In essence, the pdf document is already obsolete, in the sense that it is concerning "old common practice on Azure" and also in the sense that it leads to an unsecure setup of the VM.

I hope that anyone wanting to follow the routine outlined in the manual, also has a look at the tips above and does some additional testing of all possibilities within the Azure Cloud.

Nevertheless, it is always good to have some people try out the rock-solid Azure Cloud platform, in order to launch their Plesk machines there.

If anyone has specific questions, they can always ask me in this topic thread or send me a PM.

Regards.......

Back