• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Safe to update to PSA 8 yet?

T

timtrott

I'm still running PSA 7.5.4 waiting to see the when smoke clears on the 8.x.x upgrades.

What issues and problems should I still look out for upgrading from 7 to 8? Is it safe to upgrade now? I was looking forward to a few of the new PSA 8 features but I'm also not in the mood for any all-night stress sessions dealing with problems either. I have Plesk Support service but I can't always count on my problems appearing at a "good" time for them to fix them.

Advice? Hold off longer or give it a try?

For what it's worth. We updated the first server which went quite allright. Except the quota check ran for more than 6 hours, which we had to kill (the upgrade process did proceed anyway so no worries). Only problem we had afterwards is that safe_mode is standard on, a lot of php sites broke down, so we had to set these sites manual back to safe mode off (is possible in the hosting settings panel).

What we also found out:

- Domain aliasses is **** (nameserver settings cannot be changed)

OS Server RHEL3
Plesk 7.5.4 -> 8.0.1
Used the autoupdater script in shell.

Thanks for the response. That's mostly the kind of reaction I'm getting. At least one co-lo dataceter advises against going to 8.x yet, except for a clean install, which appears to be fairly straightforward and stable.

I think Plesk made this version in reaction to something the competition (C-Panel?)was doing (right before C-Panel had some kind of security issue), but other than some minor advantage in better use of SPF against spam, I'm not sure has much over 7.5.4 at the moment. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks so far.

Back