• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Samba / VPN only a bad joke?

L

Lindemann

hey, first of all i thought it´s very nice for our customer to use this.... but in the help file stands that only 1(!) client can connect to the vpn gateway..

samba without vpn is really gay, but this is only stupid! why sw-soft is programming so much and they make only one connection possible? nearly no one would use this in production status....

Originally posted by Lindemann
hey, first of all i thought it´s very nice for our customer to use this.... but in the help file stands that only 1(!) client can connect to the vpn gateway..

samba without vpn is really gay, but this is only stupid! why sw-soft is programming so much and they make only one connection possible? nearly no one would use this in production status....

even if You get it running, samba over VPN is terribly slow. that's more a marketing feature than usable in real life :)

i use samba over vpn on my servers, its not slow... yes there is some overhead, but c'mon...

you may want to install the vpn server yourself... ;)

Originally posted by jspilon
i use samba over vpn on my servers, its not slow... yes there is some overhead, but c'mon...

you may want to install the vpn server yourself... ;)

i installed it myself since the plesk version allows only one connection which makes it kind of useless.
biggest problem with speed is saving ms-office-dokuments (i checked the samba logs, it's about 50! file operations until a word-file is saved (checks for recovery-file, tmp-files, clipboard-save, renaming of old file, saving new, deleting old, locking... ). that's a MS office problem, openoffice saves the same file in 4 operations. we're using mainly word & excel so we switched from samba to DAV, that's quicker.

Back