• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Same license key on 2 servers long enough for migration?

deltatech

Regular Pleskian
I have a server that has been licensed for many years but the box is getting old and tired.

I have a new server that I am going to be migrating ALL users to from the first server above. It currently has a trial 15 day key which will likely expire before I have time to finish migrating. In the end, it will have my original license on it. I might want to keep the old server running for a week after the migration is complete so I can reference things on it before I shut it down completely.

So, will I run into problems if I just install my paid key on the new box and leave it on the old box at the same time for a week???

I would appreciate any information anyone can give on this. I am doing the migration tomorrow night March 27 and have only 3 days left on the trial key so my time is running out.

Yes, there may be problems. Your license may be blocked and even terminated. But if you have a server with a trial 15-day license, why do you need to use your license on it? You can do everything you need on the new server within a week, and then simply transfer your purchased license to this new server.

Hey Igor, thanks for the response. The reason is that the trial key will run out to soon. I would like to still have access to the old box for up to a week after the migration is complete. Maybe I can get another trial key for the old server AFTER I move the paid key to the new server? Of course, that would mean firing up the old server with the paid key on it long enough to enter the trial key. Overlap of only a few minutes? Or is there a way to kill the key before I move it to the new server? That way when I go back to the old, it won't come up with a key at all so no overlap?

Hey Igor, thanks for the response. The reason is that the trial key will run out to soon. I would like to still have access to the old box for up to a week after the migration is complete. Maybe I can get another trial key for the old server AFTER I move the paid key to the new server? Of course, that would mean firing up the old server with the paid key on it long enough to enter the trial key. Overlap of only a few minutes? Or is there a way to kill the key before I move it to the new server? That way when I go back to the old, it won't come up with a key at all so no overlap?

You can request a new trial key. I have a CentOS 8 server on a virtual box i test stuff on every now and then and i pretty much have to request a new trial key every time i boot it up, as long time passes in between.

Ok thanks for that. Is there a way for now to just remove the existing key to remove any danger of having overlapping servers with the same key? I will get the new trial key later IF I need access to that machine.

Ok thanks for that. Is there a way for now to just remove the existing key to remove any danger of having overlapping servers with the same key? I will get the new trial key later IF I need access to that machine.

Back