• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Saw this in log .. can anyone give me an idea what it mean

C

CBiLL

I saw this in the log today ... can anyone clear this up and tell me it what it mean or what is causing it?

Jan 25 13:35:08 ns1 xinetd[1944]: Deactivating service smtp due to excessive incoming connections. Restarting in 30 seconds.
Jan 25 13:35:38 ns1 xinetd[1944]: Activating service smtp
Jan 25 13:35:55 ns1 xinetd[1944]: Service smtp: server exit with 0 running servers
Jan 25 13:36:28 ns1 last message repeated 2 times
Jan 25 13:36:33 ns1 xinetd[1944]: Service smtp: server exit with 0 running servers

I can see smtp is being dectivated but why is it doing this? Spammer flooding my smtp or something is most likly?

Just wondering

Thanks
Bill

check cps variable in xinetd.conf

Code:
cps - Limits the number of incoming connexions. The first argument is this number itself. When the threshold is exceeded, the service is deactivated for a given time, expressed in seconds, provided with the second argument.
ie:
cps = 50 10

I got it too (suddenly!) and i set it to 50 and 10 as mentioned. it works..

but why would the default not work? Mine was 25 30

any idea why would it suddenly not work... when all these while there is already so many users... :(

hmmm

Back