• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Script to install mail account on Apple Mail

carlsson

Basic Pleskian
I am about to move a bunch of clients to my new Plesk server. Since my clients aren't very tech savvy, it would be nice to have some kind of Script that creates the Mail account for them, only assigning the account (email address) and password.

A quick search didn't find any such thing.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

When you enable the autoconfigure option in the Mail Settings off a domain, you can have the mail clients setup almost automatically. You could for example click on the (i) icon at the rightmost edge of the list of mailboxes, then select "Apple" to display a QR code that clients can sccan with their phones. It will transfer all important configuration data directly to their mail app.

Thanks for the input Peter!

I have tried this now, and there are some quirks:
1. Profiles don't behave the same way as normal email accounts. Eg it's not possible to delete them from the Account dialogue, you have to delete the profile (this will eventually create questions from my clients).

2. It still is hard for a noob (as most of my clients are) to install the profile. Ie, you have to enter the profile dialogue in settings and install the account from there. One dialogue would have been better.
"To install this email account, please enter the password for the email and press OK". That would've been awesome, but I realise that may be hard with all the security stuff involved in iOS and macOS.

3. After test installation on my Mac I had to manually add the "INBOX" prefix in IMAP server settings. That is definitely not that my clients will understand, is there a way to get this done automatically?

As I tried this setup on my own it's also not possible to install more than one email alias when installing with profile method. Or has this 'bug' already been fixed by Apple?

Back