• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Secondary DNS services

thinkingcap

Basic Pleskian
Any recommendations on 3rd Party DNS providers that are good for slave zones.
I tried AWS but really didn't like it and didn't work well with a vanity NS setup.

+1 to question from IgorG.

Could you share your experience of using AWS Route53? What exactly you didn't like? What functionality do you expect from 3rd-party DNS providers?

It didn't work well for vanity nameservers as the NS record hostnames wont match so youll get stealth warnings unless you edit the R53 side everytime you add a domain.
Cost was also a factor that didnt suit my use case.

So, as I understand, you have many domains on Plesk and you want to use a second DNS for all of them? If you will use AWS Route53 in this case, you will pay an additional cost for each new domain. Ok, I understand this point. And you need open Route53 console every time.

What do you think about an idea to use your own small VPS with DNS server as secondary DNS for all your domain? Cost is independent of a number of domains. You can use Slave DNS manager (Slave DNS Manager - Plesk Extensions) to replicate zones from Plesk to the secondary DNS. Did you see an article https://talk.plesk.com/articles/how-to-start-with-slave-dns-manager.12/ ?

Yes, I was looking into that exact idea today.
This service wasnt too expensive either.
Advanced User – DNS reliability & performance - BuddyNS Secondary DNS

Did you ever get this to work? It is my understanding that I'd need to use their API to add new zones (since I don't want to add them manually), however, the plugin referenced in their Plesk setup guide hasn't been updated in 3 years, and I got an error when I tried to install it in the latest Plesk Onyx.

I was just wondering if you got it to work and/or if you have any advice. I have used BuddyNS in the past with cPanel and it worked quite well, so I wanted to use them with Plesk as well.

UPDATE: I got it to work. I downloaded the wrong ZIP of the plugin and I had add the allow-transfer to BIND manually. It appears to be working now.

Last edited:
I did the same thing with three 1GB Linode servers (spread out regionally). It is an excellent plugin.

I ended up switching to BuddyNS because the name resolution has been faster, it's cheaper (than 3 $5 instances) for fewer than 100 zones, and it was 3 fewer things for me to maintain. I didn't like the DigitalOcean plugin, the Azure one has limitations and Route 53 has the vanity irritations that you mentioned (which was the original reason I went with the Slave DNS Manager plugin).

I'm glad that you found a solution that works!

Cheers,
Daniel

+1 to question from IgorG.

Could you share your experience of using AWS Route53? What exactly you didn't like? What functionality do you expect from 3rd-party DNS providers?

Nice extension but looks abandonned. :(
It lacks of some functionalities to allow a full white-label dns server using route-53:
- It don't set hosted zone ns entries and soa record as defined (dont even update soa serial number)
- It have a bug where if any TXT entry start with a white-space or tab character, fails without warning and don't update the dns records on route-53.
Cheers, Bitcohen

Last edited:
Back