• Halloween is coming! To celebrate the occasion, we dusted off a couple of old skins, and even created a brand new one (Pixel).
    To get into the festive spirit, install the Skins extension.
  • The new Python extension is now available. It allows customers to deploy and manage WSGI-based Python applications on their websites directly from Plesk.
  • The Plesk Mobile apps for iOS and Android and the Plesk Mobile Center extension have been deprecated, and are no longer available for new installations. In Plesk Obsidian 18.0.84, the Plesk Mobile Center extension will be removed from servers during the upgrade, and the Plesk Mobile apps will lose their server management features.
  • The Social Login extension has been deprecated and will be removed in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.84. After that, it will no longer be possible to log in to Plesk with a Google, Facebook, GitHub account, or with a passkey. Plesk usernames and passwords, as well as logging in with a WebPros Account, are not affected.

Serious Problem!

A

awpti

Guest
Went to update from 7.5.6 to 7.6

Install was stuck on "Applying Security for c:\" for over 4 hours.

I decided to cancel and let it roll back the changes.. it's still stuck there. This server is hosting 160 sites and they are ALL down right now.

I don't know what to do.
 
Anyone?

It finally canceled but did NOT roll back.

I was sent some fix information by SWSoft Techs but it is, yet again, stuck on permissions and my websites are STILL down. Each domain is asking for a login/password when we try to view their website.

Example;

www.acklinsislandlodge.com
www.awpti.org

the plesk reconfigurator / Disk Permissions utility has been sitting at 00:00 time remaining for over an hour. It appears to be doing nothing.
 
Before you update the webserver you'd probably made a backup, then i would recommend to reinstall windows en restore the backup. Then you're websites are back online and then you can investigate the problem without pressure.
 
I made the unfortunate presumption that SWSoft actually tests their releases for upgrades.

This is apparently a known issue.
 
Have you selected to install Apache Tomcat? If yes, try upgrading without Tomcat.
 
The upgrade installer gave no options for what to/not to install..

Still running the Check&Repair tool.

Hopefully when it's done, websites will be working.
 
Hi,

Same problem here with my biggest server, hosting more than 400 domains.

I'mg going to wait.
 
Back
Top