• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Server back-ups getting stuck

Novadiei

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.6 (Sky Tiger)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.43_build1800220414.18 os_RedHat el8
Hi, I have a recent problem. From some days the server back-ups are getting stuck, they all are getting stuck on one domain at roughly 24%. The back up is scheduled to be ran from 1 in the morning, and after 8 hours it is still on 24%.

Because I wiped all the old back-ups this one is a first back-up in the month so the size is around 800 GB, the destination is Amazon S3.

While the back-up is trying to get performed, the server is very slow and all the websites are slow, some of the webmails for some of the sites throw an SQL error Screenshot (not allways)

I can not find anything wrong in the log's (maybe I am not looking there?)

Could you please advise?

Thanks

I had a similar problem with dropbox sftp connection. The backups stopped at 40-60%. The solution was to many connection errors by dropbox. Some days later works all fine.

Look on your log files to find your problem:
(Plesk for Linux) /var/log/plesk/PMM/ backup-<YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm-ss-nnn> /*.log

(Plesk for Windows) %plesk_dir%PMM\logs\ backup-<YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm-ss-nnn> /*.log

I had a similar problem with dropbox sftp connection. The backups stopped at 40-60%. The solution was to many connection errors by dropbox. Some days later works all fine.

Look on your log files to find your problem:
There is nothing in the logs, apart warnings for file permissions for subscriptions migrated from other Plesk versions and this one (which is the subscription on which is getting stuck)

Unable to create the remote backup: Transport error: Extension transport: ext://s3-backup/server/: Your socket connection to the server was not read from or written to within the timeout period. Idle connections will be closed.

Unable to create the remote backup: Transport error: Extension transport: ext://s3-backup/server/: Your socket connection to the server was not read from or written to within the timeout period. Idle connections will be closed.
It is caused by the communication timeout between the Plesk server and the Amazon S3 backup server.

The following settings can be added to the panel.ini configuration file to increase the timeout and number of attempts to resume connection:
Code:
[ext-s3-backup]
ConnectionTimeout = 60
MaxResumeAttempts = 10
MaxResumeFailures = 50

It is caused by the communication timeout between the Plesk server and the Amazon S3 backup server.

The following settings can be added to the panel.ini configuration file to increase the timeout and number of attempts to resume connection:
Code:
[ext-s3-backup]
ConnectionTimeout = 60
MaxResumeAttempts = 10
MaxResumeFailures = 50
I will do this in the evening when I can restart the server. Also I wanted to ask apart from command top, what other commands do you recommend for monitoring of slowness of Plesk? I have added a bigger pool size and cache in MariaDB and also the connections are set to 300 but it seems that sometimes everything just slows down.

Maybe the panel.ini edit will solve this?

Any other tips for optimization?

There are around 400 subscriptions on the panel. 8 core CPU with around 45% usage.

There can be many reasons for this behaviour. It is difficult to determine it without accessing the server and doing research. To do this, it is better to contact the official Plesk support team.
In addition, you can try to determine the cause yourself with the help of several KB articles on the topic of slow Plesk: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=✓&query=Plesk+slow&commit=Search

I will do this in the evening when I can restart the server. Also I wanted to ask apart from command top, what other commands do you recommend for monitoring of slowness of Plesk? I have added a bigger pool size and cache in MariaDB and also the connections are set to 300 but it seems that sometimes everything just slows down.

Maybe the panel.ini edit will solve this?

There are around 400 subscriptions on the panel. 8 core CPU with around 45% usage.

It seems that ConnectionTimeout have no effect. When S3 backup got stuck il will be hang forever, causing all of subsequent backups fail without notification and I have to kill the backup process or restart the server to have backup running again.

Back