• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

server hanging since 7.5.2 upgrade

F

faris

Hi folks,

I have an annoying problem with my main server.

The damn thing seem to be hanging on daily basis since my machine was upgraded from 7.14 to 7.5.2.

It is a Dell PE1650 running rh9

The problem is that I can't figure out why. There are no errors in any logs. 4psa server assistant does not send me load warnings or any warnings for that matter (like it would normally do if a process went mad, or if Plesk hung). It just seems to stop. I can't get in via SSH. On reboot, all is well again.

This almost implies a hardware error, but I've run remote diagnostics and all appears to be well. Besides, it seems like too much coincidence that it started happening after the upgrade.

Does anybody have any ideas?

And even if you don't have any ideas, does anybody else there have Dell PE1650 or 1550 machines running Dell OpenManage?

Faris.

Passwords expire

Maybe that is because your root password expire and is asked to re-enter on server startup.

We now have the same problem on RedHat9.

I should have updated this thread -- but after updating the kernel and re-installing our hardware monitoring (Dell Openmanage) software, everything was OK again and the server hasn't even blinked in over two weeks (I hope these aren't famous last words!).

But expiring root passwords sound frightening. I've never come accross this before! I thank you for the suggestion. I'll do a good search and see what it comes up with.

Incidentally, as a result of the issues I was having, I have discovered an absolutely fabulous server monitoring company called, would you beleive it, www.server-monitoring.co.uk (they can monitor servers in the US as well as the UK, and can send SMS alerts to the UK and (I think US) too.

I also discovered that you can now send an SMS to a UK landline. When a message is received, the phone rings and the SMS message is READ OUT to you. This is fantastic, and perfect for anyone who is out of mobile phone coverage, like we are most of the time. It is also possible to get special SMS phones to plug in, but you need caller display in order to use that functionality.

Faris.

Oops. I accidentally double-posted. deleted. sorry.

Faris.

Back