• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

service(imap-login): process_limit (100) reached (bug?)

finbarr69

Basic Pleskian
I have been seeing this error:
mail dovecot: master: Warning: service(imap-login): process_limit (100) reached, client connections are being dropped

In my /var/log/maillog file on a regular basis, and my customers have been complaining they have been unable to read their emails (typically it was Outlook users having the problem). So much so, I had to set up a cron to restart dovecot every 6 hours. But I had begun finding I was having to restart dovecot more and more frequently.

I even upped the process limits and the max per ip limits in Plesk to ridiculous values, but still I get this error.

Then I discovered that the imap-login default setting IS still only 100. Plesk isn't changing that when I alter the settings on the server-wide mail settings page. Aha! So why not? Sounds like a bug?

I have, for now, created a file as follows:

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/42-plesk-service-imap-login.conf

(I just made up the number 42, I don't know if that matters)

Inside that file, I put:

service imap-login {
service_count = 1
process_limit = 500
}

Then I did a final
/etc/init.d/dovecot restart

I have not seen the error message since then.

I think this is a very important discovery and should be taken into consideration by Plesk for fixing. I was on the point of upgrading the hardware as I thought my server had reached its limit when I found this setting.

My suggestion is that because you provide the user the ability to increase the number of connections per IP, and the max number of connections, you should also be increasing (or allowing us to easily increase) the process limit for the imap-login service (which is distinct from the imap service and has it's own process_limit setting).

I hope this helps others.

Brian

Back