• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Services running on Docker containers and being interconnected by Plesk

Émerson Felinto

Regular Pleskian
I would like to separate services in containers in Docker.
That is, PHP, MySQL, Nginx and E-mail would run on separate instances and Plesk would be responsible for managing all of them.
This would give me some benefits such as the ability to back up instances and replicate to other servers using RSYNC. So in case something wrong happened I could guarantee that it would be a matter of just changing the DNS and all sites would automatically be redirected to the new server. Plesk would run under a container too.
It is possible ?
What problems could arise from this configuration?
Is there any tutorial that shows how to do this?

I would like to separate services in containers in Docker.
That is, PHP, MySQL, Nginx and E-mail would run on separate instances and Plesk would be responsible for managing all of them.
This would give me some benefits such as the ability to back up instances and replicate to other servers using RSYNC. So in case something wrong happened I could guarantee that it would be a matter of just changing the DNS and all sites would automatically be redirected to the new server. Plesk would run under a container too.
It is possible ?
What problems could arise from this configuration?
Is there any tutorial that shows how to do this?

Hello mate,

I leave the tutorial so you can run plesk on dockers.

=> Plesk Docker Container - How to install Plesk from a Docker image

One problem I see is the modification of values such as the ip addresses that you have right from your configuration files. If you are able to during synchronization replace these types of values I see no more problems.

This runs Plesk, completely, in 1 Docker container.
It does not seperate out all the services to run in seperate containers.

These Docker images should only be used for testing really, docker containers are designed to run 1 app / service, not an entire webstack + CP.
So 1 container for Apache, 1 for PHP-FPM, 1 for MySQL, 1 for NGINX, 1 for Postfix, 1 for Dovecot, etc etc.
But in a shared environment, this raises many questions.
Would you run 1 Apache/PHP-FPM/MySQL container group per customer in order to enforce resource limits?
Or would you run all customers on the same Service containers?

This all more complex than it seems.

Back