• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Setting max_children in Plesk GUI is strange

Azurel

Silver Pleskian
I found in /var/log/plesk-php73-fpm/error.log this lines:
[pool domain.tld] server reached max_children setting (100), consider raising it

So I want change it and found: How to customize PHP-FPM pool settings for a domain through Plesk?

I take a look in Plesk > Domains > domain.tld > PHP Settings.
unknown.png

As you can see, plesk says 20 and not 100.

I looked in php.ini of domain.tld and its says again 100.
/var/www/vhosts/system/domain.tld/conf/php.ini
Code:
[php-fpm-pool-settings]
pm.max_children = 100
pm.start_servers = 20
pm.min_spare_servers = 20
pm.max_spare_servers = 35

Why have plesk gui complete different values? Yes I'm in correct domain. ;)
I have looked in other domains and default is "5", but in php.ini of this domain its again a value of "100".
Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #74

Last edited:
usually (Centos & Ubuntu) the php.ini for the domains are located under: /opt/plesk/php/7.x/etc/php-fpm.d/ and there you will get / see the settings from the gui

afaik a manual added php.ini under /var/www/vhosts/system/domain.tld/conf/php.ini will not be updated / changed by the gui settings

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot this part to insert (again) in my posting. (first try on support-page was killed)

/opt/plesk/php/7.3/etc/php-fpm.d/domain.tld
Code:
; Following directives define pool configuration
pm = ondemand
pm.max_children = 100
pm.max_spare_servers = 35
pm.min_spare_servers = 20
pm.process_idle_timeout = 10s
pm.start_servers = 20

[pool domain.tld] server reached max_children setting (100), consider raising it
There is error for [pool domain.tld] a setting of "100" and in GUI "20". The system said "100", so it should be "100" in Plesk.

I dont added a custom php.ini in /conf. This php.ini-files are 2-3 years old and from root. Maybe technical service have make somthing wrong in the past.

Again.
/opt/plesk/php/7.3/etc/php-fpm.d/domain.tld says 100
Plesk GUI for domain.tld says 20.

Last edited:
ok did some tests, as long as I change the settings in the gui for the domain and apply the settings, the gui & domain.tld.conf will match / show same figures. If the domain.tld.conf was modified manualy it seems the gui does not read this settings back from it, perhaps plesk has it saved / cached somewhere else...

So just change the settings via gui and apply should work as expected

Sorry for late answer.
So just change the settings via gui and apply should work as expected
Thats not working for me. I have set in GUI to value 150, but in php.ini its still value of 100.
[php-fpm-pool-settings]
pm.max_children = 100
and "php.ini" is not changed since 2017. Owner/Group of this file is "root" 0644. All other files in this folder are from 2020.

Back