• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Setting up a subscription to get access to website files and email tools

klmgraphics

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Host Edition Version 18.0.55 Update #1
Just learning Plesk and need some help getting up to speed with how this subscription thing works. Having a time of it getting my head around setting up website accounts and think I did it wrong. I have the subscriptions setup but now I want to give my clients the ability to access their web account to manage their files, databases and email creations but I am learning the hard way if there is no customer for them it appears this is not possible. It is beyond me why I cannot now just create a customer and link it to an existing subscription? Or I am not looking in the right place to set this up, any advice would be a massive help!

The normal way is to create a customer account. In the customer account creation dialog you can setup a subscription for the customer.

If you have already created a subscription as "admin", it is now owned by "admin". But in Plesk you can change the owner of a subscription. So you can still create a customer (without subscription) and then change the owner of the existing subscription to that customer.

1694500884360.png

Plesk features an extensive documentation where you can find more information, e.g.

The "Knowledge Base" is also a great place to find many useful articles on tasks and solutions. Start from there: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us

Thanks Peter, did not think about going that route to get these setup. Would be nice if they would have built in a simple mechanic to be able to create customers and link them to subscriptions but I guess this convoluted way will work. Again, thanks a ton for the very useful info!

Would be nice if they would have built in a simple mechanic to be able to create customers and link them to subscriptions
That's exactly what the "Add Customer" feature does: You create a customer and right from the customer creation you also automatically create a subscription.

That's exactly what the "Add Customer" feature does: You create a customer and right from the customer creation you also automatically create a subscription.
Yes I got that but I am talking about a subscription that is already made. There is no way to create the customer for that account once there is already a subscription for it. Which is what I was saying would be nice, is when creating a customer if there was a function to attach that customer to an existing subscription. I even tried to use the temporary domain feature thinking I could link the existing subscription to it after the fact but no joy! Seriously this is all convoluted and overly redundant and barely useful for someone like me that comes from a better streamlined interface like cPanel where there is none of this bloat! Not to disc on Plesk because overall I am loving it over cPanel but this function is laughable at best.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. You can create a customer without creating a subscription. And you can attach/change customers associated with subscriptions at any time. What exactly are you missing as a feature?

Yes Peter there is a misunderstanding. I have tried what you say is possible to no avail. Here is my situation. I created my clients web accounts using the subscriptions. The problem with that is that doing that the clients do not have a web interface to access things like their site files, databases or to be able to edit or create email accounts. I discovered to late the only way to make this work is to have a customer account. However since the website is already setup and attached to a reseller there is no straight forward way to create a customer because during the creation it asks for a domain. problem is I cant create said account because it says I cant as the website already exists. Which it does in the subscription. Based on what you are saying I should be able to create a customer independent of the subscription and then make a customer and link them together, is that correct? Where in the documents does it outline this because I have looked and cant find it. Could be my old eyes betraying me...

OK, thanks Peter, it was your words that made me look harder and I do see I need to uncheck the create a domain when creating a customer. That is where I was screwing up. I was moving to fast and did not even slow down to see that check box. I knew the solution would prove me a moron but I thank you for sticking with me and helping out. Problem solved!

Back