• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setting up single domain when 2 different IP's are required for name server

A

AzGilrock

I think I have my DNS setup correctly with much help from browsing this forum. The one thing I'm not sure about is whether my second name server is setup correctly. My hosting company Godaddy appears to require different IP addresses for the two name servers. So I allocated a second IP address but I want it to go to the same domain. My domain name seems to be working correctly as well as the first IP address. By my second IP address is routing me to a default page which makes me think that if the internet routes a request to my ns2 it probably won't work right.

I was starting to think I needed to create another domain under Plesk that would be a dummy domain because I wouldn't register the name. The second IP would be assigned to this domain and I would setup to forward to the other domain.

Is that what I need to do or can my DNS for the domain be fixed to work with both IP addresses. Here's my record:

Host Record type Value
somasport.com. NS ns1.somasport.com.
somasport.com. NS ns2.somasport.com.
somasport.com. A 68.178.167.41
webmail.somasport.com. A 68.178.167.41
mail.somasport.com. A 68.178.167.41
ns1.somasport.com. A 68.178.167.41
ns2.somasport.com. A 68.178.167.127
ftp.somasport.com. CNAME somasport.com.
www.somasport.com. CNAME somasport.com.
*.somasport.com. CNAME somasport.com.
somasport.com. MX (10) mail.somasport.com.
68.178.167.41 / 24 PTR somasport.com.

I'm not sure what a PTR record is but I tried creating a second one here using the second IP address and that didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gil Jones

If you look at the dnsreport.com for your domain, all looks good. The first 3 warnings you do not have to worry about.

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=somasport.com

4th warning(Mail server hostname greeting): are you running on a shared/virtual/VPS type server or a dedicated? This is not a critical error, I have seen many mail servers function with this error occuring. However, if you wish to be complete....

Your DNS has the "mail.somasport.com. A 68.178.167.41" record, so that's not it.

So check the files:

/var/qmail/control/me
/var/qmail/control/helohost

Their contents should match what is expected 'mail.somasport.com'

5th warning (SPF): If you are running Plesk 7.5.3 or higher, you can go into Domains - DNS and create a TXT record. First go to http://spf.pobox.com and use their wizard to create the text to copy/paste into the DNS TXT record field.

As long as you registered ns2.somasport.com (which you must have done) and pointed it to the 2nd IP (again you did), as long as both IPs are active and working on your server, you do not normally have to do anything else for the named/bind DNS service to 'listen' and respond on the additional IPs. The default is to listen/respond on all IPs on the server.

Thanks...I hadn't gotten as far as checking out whether mail works or not. I put mail.somasport.com into those two files you mentioned and I added the following text entries from the SPF wizard:
somasport.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all"
mail.somasport.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

I am on what Godaddy calls a virtual dedicated server. I wasn't able to get into the dnsreport.com site because my satellite is using a web proxy which apparently has been blacklisted.

I also upgraded my Plesk to the deluxe package with Godaddy which gives me access to the application vault. It's been 4.5 hours and it's still greyed out. I went into license management and selected retrieve keys but it says the license is up-to-date. Do I just keep doing this until a new license shows up? I wasn't told how this works or how long it usually takes.

Gil Jones

Originally posted by AzGilrock
Thanks...I hadn't gotten as far as checking out whether mail works or not. I put mail.somasport.com into those two files you mentioned and I added the following text entries from the SPF wizard:
somasport.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all"
mail.somasport.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"
Did you remember to restart Qmail from the control panel ? Duh, nevermind this comment... all looks very good on your current dnsreport.com report.

I am on what Godaddy calls a virtual dedicated server. I wasn't able to get into the dnsreport.com site because my satellite is using a web proxy which apparently has been blacklisted.
Try this link, it's an IE viewable .mht file. All looks good now, the 3 current warnings are nothing to worry about really. So the changes you made have already taken effect and the 4th/5th errors are now gone.

I also upgraded my Plesk to the deluxe package with Godaddy which gives me access to the application vault. It's been 4.5 hours and it's still greyed out. I went into license management and selected retrieve keys but it says the license is up-to-date. Do I just keep doing this until a new license shows up? I wasn't told how this works or how long it usually takes.
You would have to ask GoDaddy support.
Gil Jones

Thanks for all the help.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that the IP address for my second name server is not routing into my domain. Here's the two records:
ns1.somasport.com. [68.178.167.41] [TTL=172800] [US]
ns2.somasport.com. [68.178.167.127] [TTL=172800] [US]

I really didn't want two different IP's because I only had one server but it was a requirement from my domain provider when setting up the name servers. So if I go to a browser and type:
http://68.178.167.127
I don't get my somasport.com main page. Is there a way I can make this IP goto the same location as 68.178.167.41 using Plesk to set the DNS settings?

Gil Jones

In Server - IP Addresses, find the line of the IP in question. Click on the number 0 (zero) under the 'Hosting' column for that line.
Select your domain, click on 'Set as Default'

This will associate your domain as the 'default' domain for anyone browsing to that IP address.

My outgoing mail doesn't appear to be working. I've sent mails into my account just fine. I've also sent emails from one account to another on my domain. But emails sent outside the domain don't seem to be getting there. I can't find any outgoing mail logs I can view from Plesk. I'm searching the forums to find help but no luck yet.

Gil Jones

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
In Server - IP Addresses, find the line of the IP in question. Click on the number 0 (zero) under the 'Hosting' column for that line.
Select your domain, click on 'Set as Default'

This will associate your domain as the 'default' domain for anyone browsing to that IP address.

The problem is that no domains show up when I go to that screen. My domain shows up under the other IP address. I don't see how to set the same domain as the default for two different IP addresses.

Gil Jones

Originally posted by AzGilrock
My outgoing mail doesn't appear to be working. I've sent mails into my account just fine. I've also sent emails from one account to another on my domain. But emails sent outside the domain don't seem to be getting there. I can't find any outgoing mail logs I can view from Plesk. I'm searching the forums to find help but no luck yet.

Gil Jones

I solved my outbound email issue so I'm just down to the issue of getting the second IP mapped to the same domain. For any other Godaddy user's this might be good info. Below is what their FAQ sheet says about email for the virtual servers. I love the part that says I shouldn't need to worry about it because it comes pre-configured. The file they specify in this FAQ did not even exist on my server. I added the file with the line shown in this FAQ and now the email is working.

All outbound e-mail from a virtual dedicated server must use the relay server k2smtpout.secureserver.net. All of our virtual dedicated servers are pre-configured to use this server.

Plesk uses qmail as the default mail server. The configuration file /var/qmail/control/smtproutes needs to have the line :k2smtpout.secureserver.net in it so that it will work properly (the colon is necessary).

For the most part, you do not need to worry about these settings unless something is not working or you want to use a different mail server daemon on your virtual dedicated machine.

Gil Jones

Looking to see final dns setup

Greetings AzGilrock

I have reading this post over and over again as I find your situation to be indentical to mine (secureserver.net setup also). I have been fairly successful as to setting mine up and have MOST all functioning properly (email still a sticking point).

If I may request you send a copy (simple cut and paste from your admin>server>dns screen) of your dns server setup. I have a sticking point that involves tweaking a setting (or adding) and this would be GREATLY appreciated. email (maxm at metrocast.net) if this is something you would not mind doing.

I checked your dnsreport (link in previouse post) and it looked as you have the situation under control.

I am a former cPanel user and the learning for dns is taking more time than I planned for.

Thanks
Francis

Re: Looking to see final dns setup

Originally posted by maxm
Greetings AzGilrock
If I may request you send a copy (simple cut and paste from your admin>server>dns screen) of your dns server setup. I have a sticking point that involves tweaking a setting (or adding) and this would be GREATLY appreciated. email (maxm at metrocast.net) if this is something you would not mind doing.

Thanks
Francis

I pasted my DNS server setup in the first post of this thread. Did you need something different than that?

I had a talk with tech support at Godaddy and he said everything was setup fine with my DNS. Apparently I don't need to worry about the second IP not going to the website when typed directly into a browser. He said if I went to dnsstuff.com that I could keep refreshing the screen and half the time it would be using my ns2 instead of ns1 and I would see that they are both working.

Gil

It is true that it does not matter if browsing to the IP address brings up a valid site page or not, I just thought you wanted it that way for some reason or another. :)

Thank You

Thanks Gil

No this will be perfect. I ran a dns report on your doamin and the results were what we are trying to achieve. If this is the setup then I will use this as our guidline.

Also thank you "jamesyeeoc" for your guidance.. It is GREATLY appreciated!

THANKS all

Back