• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Setting up the initial nameserver and domain?

S

SaqibK

I just started renting a server with Plesk installed. Never used Plesk before, and currently there are no domains pointing to this server from the registrar.

How do I set up the nameservers? For instance say I registered a domain at godaddy, 'mydomain.com', and have made a domain account for it with username 'mydom'. What do I have to do in Plesk to tell it that this should be my nameservers should then be e.g. ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, and the IPs they point to?

Thank you. I went to Settings>Server settings>Full hostname and changed the hostname to 'host.mydomain.com' (with mydomain.com being replaced by the domain name). Is that what I should do?

Also under Settings>Zone Settings Template, when I Add DNS Record and would like to add ns1/ns2 as my nameservers, what should I fill in? There is by default an entry with Host 'ns.<domain>.', Record Type 'A' and Value '<ip>', but I'm not sure how these <domain> and <ip> values work. When I go to Add DNS Record, the Domain name field has the unalterable suffix '.<domain>.'.

The help says "The <ip> and <domain> templates are automatically replaced in the generated zone with real IP addresses and domain names.", but I don't quite understand what that means, or how Plesk knows which domain to use.

What you really should do is setup the nameserver of your domain as the IP address of your plesk server at Godaddy rather than domain name. Then, setup on your company's DNS settings in plesk:
ns1.domain.com -> 123.123.123.123 (or whatever it is)
ns2.domain.con -> 124.124.124.124 (or whatever it is)

For any future domains you register for customers you can then use those settings.

Back