• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Setting up the Plesk Mail Server

carlsson

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.57_build1800231218.16
I have used Plesk for a couple of years, but only for Web services such as Wordpress sites. Quite simple usage, and nothing fancy. 20-30 domains. I have the DNS at the registrar.

Now I want to take the next step and use the mail server. However, I don't get it. It is turned on, and I can create email accounts and such. But what is the host name? How do I setup reverse DNS? Which domain is the server located on? How do I reach the webmail? Is it advisable to have mail.thedomain.com for all different domains? Etc etc

I have googled this to death, but it's obviosly something I miss. I can't find any useful information in the documentation.

I must have missed something obvious, eveything else with Plesk is extremely intuitive and great. Please help! I maybe just need a pointer.

Tia,
/Andreas

But what is the host name?
It is the same like the name you are using to login to Plesk. For example if you login at https://myhostname.tld:844 your hostname is "myhostname.tld".

How do I setup reverse DNS?
This is done by the data center in their routers. If you own a virtual server, it should already have been done for you. If you own a dedicated server, chances are you have a control panel for that server at your data center where you can configure the PTR record / reverse DNS.

Which domain is the server located on?
That's the hostname "myhostname.tld" (see answer above).

How do I reach the webmail?
webmail.<your domain name>, e.g. https://webmail.somedomain.tld.
Webmail can be toggled on/of in the "E-Mail Settings" of your domain. Make sure you have picked a webmail software on that settings page, else the webmail subdomain won't be accessible. You also need to have an A record either for the webmail subdomain or a wildcard "*" if the specific subdomain record is missing from your DNS settings. Else the webmail subdomain cannot resolve to the host's ip address. Normally all should already be in place.

Is it advisable to have mail.thedomain.com for all different domains?
You only have exactly one mail server hostname, which is the same like "myhostname.tld" (see above). If you expand an SSL certificate of a domain with the "Assign the certificate to the mail domain" option, you can also use SNI with the mail server for that domain and address your incoming and outgoing mail server with the domain name.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated!

I should've mentioned that the server is a VPS on a data center.

So if I got it right; Today my hostname is plesk.mydomain.com. I could use that, or change it to something else, like mail.mydomain.com?
It feels so strange though, that the mail server should use the same hostname as everything else. But I trust you, that's the conclusion I have got from the internet as well. It just feels odd.
(Last time I set up a mail server (20 years ago) I had a separate machine, and maybe that's what effing my brain up)

Followup question:
Is it bad practice to set up a subdomain named "mail" and "webmail" for all domains, pointing (CNAME) to the main domain? That way I imagine, it will be easier to move the entire domain in the future if that happens.

Again, thanks!

Plesk does automatically setup a "webmail" subdomain for all domains and points it out to the roundcube client on plesk

Plesk does automatically setup a "webmail" subdomain for all domains and points it out to the roundcube client on plesk
Yes, I noticed. I do however have the DNS at my registrar.
I created an A record for a domain I am trying the setup now, and it reaches out ok to the Plesk server. Ie; the Webmail works.

However, I have some questions about the mail setup that is still kinda foggy.
Is it advisable to write the real domains in the forum or is that against policy/common sense? (it would be much easier)

Is it advisable to write the real domains in the forum or is that against policy/common sense? (it would be much easier)
Not against any policy, but not advisable for security reasons. Normally all questions can be answered with redacted examples.

(Last time I set up a mail server (20 years ago) I had a separate machine, and maybe that's what effing my brain up)
Email has made a big leap since the early millennium. There is definitely no need for a separate mail server now a days (although that can still be useful in some use cases). If you haven't already I would suggest at least reading up on the current basic security aspects of email. Like SPF, DKIM, DMARC and secured connections.

Followup question:
Is it bad practice to set up a subdomain named "mail" and "webmail" for all domains, pointing (CNAME) to the main domain? That way I imagine, it will be easier to move the entire domain in the future if that happens.
As answered by @Cike76, no need to manually setup a webmail subdomain. Plesk handles this for you.

I feel it is still quite a common practice to use a domain prefix (subdomain), like "mail" or "imap"/"smtp" for allow for mail server connections by email clients. There is however no real (technical) need to do so. By default Plesk doesn't utilize a domain prefix either for mail server connections. With Plesk any mail client should/could connect (with the right credentials) to the primary domain (example.com) or simply to the servers host name (plesk.example.com) with a secured connection. Of course you could still create a separate "mail" subdomain, but that would be a matter of preference. Not of necessity.

Back