• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SFTP does not work in subdomain, FTP does not work anywhere.

hgmichna

Basic Pleskian
I have not used FTP access in a while, so I do not know exactly when it broke, but I have known for a while that only SFTP kept working after Plesk broke FTP.

Now I have to do a Wordpress update in a subdomain and can find no way to do it, because in the subdomain neither FTP nor SFTP works.

This is a standard Plesk installation, so it is fairly obvious that Plesk itself introduced the defect.

The box is running Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 with kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64.

Any idea how to fix this?

Hello,

What error are you getting with the FTP ?

And regarding the wordpress update, Just add following code in your wp-config.php file and try again

Code:
define('FS_METHOD','direct');

I have tried with FileZilla. If I set it to FTP, I get the messages:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Could not connect to server

If I set it to SFTP, I get the messages:

Error: Connection closed by server with exitcode 1
Error: Could not connect to server

I believe I have seen other users complain about the problem some time earlier, but since I had no urgent need for FTP and since SFTP worked on all domains, I did nothing and hoped that the defect would be fixed in due time. Unfortunately this has not happened, and I cannot find the old discussion threads any more.

As to Wordpress, its automatic updates worked just fine until FTP was broken by Plesk. Therefore I guess that, as soon as I get FTP or SFTP to work, it will most likely work again as always.

Hello,

Try to stop iptables and plesk firewall on your server and test your FTP issues with filezila,

And regarding the SFTP, Which port are you using for the SFTP ?

Try to stop iptables and plesk firewall on your server and test your FTP issues with filezila,

And regarding the SFTP, Which port are you using for the SFTP ?

Thanks! It took a while, but now I could do some tests. I only disabled the firewall rule to deny all other incoming traffic. Then both FTP and SFTP worked on the subdomain.

This indicates to me that the existing FTP firewall rule is defective. Could you fix that in Plesk?

Also, in the meantime it would be good to have instructions on how to set a user-defined firewall rule for FTP and SFTP, as long as the built-in rule does not work.

Unfortunately, allowing all incoming traffic reduces the security of the server and should not be a permanent solution. This creates some urgency to repair this defect in Plesk.

Hans

Back