• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Should I or Should I not upgrade to 7.5.4???

N

nhouse

Ok... I have been watching the comments for a while now and I have made myself WAIT to upgrade Plesk from 7.5.3 to 7.5.4. Not-with-standing the various early horror stories... please share with me your thoughts about it. I am VERY tempted to upgrade :D but I don't want to open up TOO big a can of worms.

Please focus on specifics about upgrading... such as "Go ahead and upgrade but don't use Bulldog." Are there specific "gotchas" that I should watch out for. I am on a VDS with RH9.

I appreciate your time and wisdom.

i personally recommend everyone to setup a test server. Just to see how things are working after an upgrade. With the upgrade from 7.5.3 to 7.5.4 i only experienced problems with the WATCHDOG. (qmail stopping and not starting up because of a wrong command handling)

As far as i know the problems with this module are still not fixed. But because its a module you can easally disable/remove it from your server so that won't be any problem.

Currently our servers are installed with the 7.5.4 version for a couple of months and they are running fine without any problem.

I would say: just go upgrade but if you have a test server; use it.

Thank you for your thoughts rvdmeer. Unfortunately I don't have a test server to play with. I am running a small time operation (small budget) and only have one live VDS.

Oh, and everyone who celebrates the holiday...

happy_thanksgiving.jpg

i dont know how experienced you are with *nix but when there was an error with some other upgrades i was always able to resolve it from the error report.

Anyone else have a suggestion... the turkey must have you all full and sleepy ;)

Plesk is about to roll out 7.5.5, so that means they will discontinue 7.5.4 when they do (just as the removed 7.5.3).

My 2 cents are that I have been waiting for them to resolve all the 7.5.4 bugs (months now), and will now wait to see what problems crop up with 7.5.5. Probably more months of waiting. Since all our servers we manage are running stable under 7.5.3, I have not been willing to subject either my staff, myself, and especially not my clients to buggy upgrades. I am crossing fingers, toes, and everything else that 7.5.5 will be less buggy and more stable, else I'm taking my SUS money elsewhere.

James... I appreciate you thoughts and it sounds like good advice. Sometimes I wish I had stayed with DirectAdmin... it didn't have as many frills... but it was pretty stable.

Thanks again.

Back